Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game plan vs. the Titans: Pick you poison
The Titans have been struggling on defense. Their offense has one of the lowest time of possessions in the league, and it isn't because they aren't successful. Teams have to either sell out to try and slow down Henry, and risk getting beat by play-action or stay back and get chewed up by Henry.

Here is what I would do: No, I don't think the Bengals will listen.

Run blitz almost every play. Send an additional rusher. Try to hit Henry before he gets up to speed. Once he gets going upfield, at 6'3" tall, he falls forward for two yards. And he virtually always falls forward. Double A gap blitzes a la Mike Zimmer. Use ADG for this role, with Bynes. Try to get Henry going sideways before he gets to head upfield. If you are successful early downs, they won't be handing the ball off on 3rd and 10.

Running this scheme will likely result in a quick checkdown, a missed tackle, and an 80 yard completion for a TD. I know that would suck, but one of the ways the Titans D has become 2nd in the league in turnovers is tipped balls. They don't get much of a pass rush, but they get their hands up. When the defense is storming upfield in a run blitz, and they see play action, they have to get their hands in the air when Tannehill pulls the ball on play-action. That is a key to getting a turnover on downs or an INT.

I have no doubts the offense will be able to put up points, but if they play the "well, we want to stop Henry, but we don't want to give up any big plays" sissy defense a la Chuck Breshnahan, they will bleed to death with 5-8 yard runs all day by Henry which have near zero turnover chance as well as no chance of forcing a punt. They MUST be aggressive and get him going sideways and tackle TOGETHER this week.

This is it, Lou. Here is your chance to show you can attack and hold down one of the best offenses in the league. Be aggressive. Your players might just reward you for it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Game plan vs. the Titans: Pick you poison - SHRacerX - 10-31-2020, 11:05 AM