Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finley was awful at QB and so was Allen...
(12-01-2020, 10:48 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Of your list, only Brady did for an extended period of time (Bledsoe).

Brees and Ben had no one and Rivers/Mahomes had a vet around for 1 season (and Brees was only in year 2 or 3, so not really a Vet). And Mahomes I classify the same as Burrow; they don't need a vet behind them, they just need someone competent and who has experience in a similar (or the same) system.

Yes they were rookies or second year players, but they didn't play like rookies or inexperienced players and if they made a mistake, they didn't make it a second time.

That's what I meant by Burrow being a veteran (he isn't, of course); he's not like Herbert or Tua that are making stupid mistakes and relying only on their God-given talents (Tua has limited his, to be fair, but he has been far from stellar).

That's why you bring in a leader, someone who has experience with Air-Raid/Spread concepts and someone who is competent, but won't make huge mistakes or stupid plays.

There are 3 guys that fit that, either coming out or in the league currently: Minshew (who is under contract), Anthony Gordon (though he'd be my last choice, of the 3) and Shane Buechele.

As such, I'd spend a 5th or 6th on the young guy from college, who has a chip on his shoulder and is a leader of men.

I think you're remembering some of these players early careers wrong. 

Drew Brees basically sat his entire rookie year behind Doug Flutie who continued on the team for another 3 years. Veteran QB presence. 

Phillip Rivers basically sat his entire first 2 years behind Drew Brees learning. Veteran QB presence (he was actually in year 4-5 while there with Rivers not 2-3). They then traded for another Veteran QB Billy Volcker who backed Rivers up for 6 years.

Big Ben had either Tommy Maddox and/or Charlie Batch there during his first 8 years in the league. Veteran QB presence.

Patrick Mahomes basically didn't play at all his rookie year sitting behind Alex Smith not to mention he has one of the best coaches (especially offensive minded coaches) in NFL history. Plus they picked up Matt Moore after trading Alex Smith. Veteran QB presence. 

There's a reason good teams don't back up their rookie QBs with other rookies. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Finley was awful at QB and so was Allen... - TheFan - 12-01-2020, 02:14 PM