Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does Quinton Spain fit the blocking scheme?
I was quite excited to see the Bengals pick up Quinton Spain mid-season after he was cut by the Bills.
Prior to coming to Cincinnati, he was a very good well-rounded blocker, but especially a good pass protector.
When looking at PFF, Spain had a 70+ pass blocking grade every year 2015-2019.
However, he's down to a paltry 44.9 this season, 6 games with the Bengals.

I thought maybe it's the blocking scheme, as from everything I've seen of BUF, they run more of a man power blocking scheme. The Bengals ran a heavy zone scheme to start out 2019, and then shifted to a gap power scheme the second half of last year. I haven't taken the time to go back to watch tape to confirm, but from what I recall watching, the team has gone back to a zone blocking scheme in 2020.

I decided to go back and read up on Spain's scouting report from different sources. They mention that Spain is a much better fit in a power scheme vs a zone scheme. He doesn't have the lateral agility to shift sideways. He needs to be going forward and driving off the ball.

So do you think this is another instance of putting a square peg in a round hole with Spain not being able to execute the scheme?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Does Quinton Spain fit the blocking scheme? - ochocincos - 12-15-2020, 11:39 AM