Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does Quinton Spain fit the blocking scheme?
(12-15-2020, 02:52 PM)Au165 Wrote: The whole "scheme" thing is misleading here. People keep talking about blocking schemes when in reality pass blocking schemes are actually really basic and pretty universal. Now there can be varying techniques used but that isn't a scheme it's more preference and player ability thing. In terms of pass blocking, we do what most people do which is base Big on Big with slide protection on overloads and bootlegs and some combo blocking rpo actions and 3 step drops.

Where you start talking about man, or power blocking, and zone blocking is really just in relation to the running game, or if you are the Rams and heavy zone running play-action you go get a bit more zone blocking but only as a result of the PA. This year we have run a similar combo scheme we ran last year. Lots of pin and pull for the outside zone but still some power scheme on inside running plays.

My observation on the line as a whole continues to be that issues are not scheme related. It wasn't scheme related when Alexander was here and it wasn't when Pollock was here. The issues here continue to be poor communication and bad technique (usually because players are bad). QB's can help hide these flaws by checking out of bad, or tough to block plays, and also setting protections and help communicate that protection call. I think Burrow will help with this over time and if we can upgrade the quality of player, zone aside, we will find ourselves in a better situation. I mean let's be honest the Bills in the midst of a playoff hunt cut the dude, that doesn't tend to happen with guys teams think can help them achieve their goals.

I totally get what you mean in regards to run blocking. But I thought there was a distinct difference between zone and man blocking in the passing game too.

As such, help me understand this situation then that we've seen multiple times this year...
An OL (e.g. Bobby Hart) doesn't stay engaged in his block during a pass set. When he disengages (if he engages at all), the defender seems to go right by him. Does that mean that the RG didn't do what he was supposed to do? Or did the RT disengage when he should have stayed engaged?

Does that style of pass blocking not fall under the definition of scheme?

I always thought that in man blocking for pass protection, you basically block your assigned guy. And in zone blocking for pass protection, you stick to your area and pass off any defenders who leave your area and go into someone else's area.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Does Quinton Spain fit the blocking scheme? - ochocincos - 12-15-2020, 03:17 PM