Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Urban Meyer Contacted by Two NFL Teams (Could One Be Us?)
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30605057/sources-nfl-teams-ask-urban-meyer-interest-return-coaching

So a story broke today that at least two NFL teams have contacted Urban Meyer about returning to coaching and he has not dismissed interviewing at this level.

Now, do I think there's a great chance that we're one of them? No, no I do not. But... I do think there are a LOT of reasons why it would make perfect sense for us to be one of them, and for him to be very receptive to an opening here. I'm just curiours to hear what others here may think.

Here's a few reasons, beyond the fact he's a big name hire, that I think it makes perfect sense for both parties (Bengals and Urban Meyer) to be intrigued by one other another:

---Meyer's name recognition in Ohio would bring a ton of support and sell a ton of tickets. As much as I hate to admit it as a UC fan, there's a ton of Cincinnati Bengals fans who are also Ohio State fans. A ton. I'm not sure any single hire would sell more tickets (Make Mike Brown more money) than Urban Meyer.

---Meyer went to and graduated from UC. A lot of people don't know this. Meyer played for Cincinnati and has a ton of connections here. See next points...

---Meyer's sister works at the UC. She's a Vice Provost, and has worked for the school for almost 30 years. Fwiw, his other sister was Homecoming Queen here. (The whole familly is full of Bearcats)

---Meyer's son plays WR for UC as a walk-on. He just joined the team this season. He was on the UC baseball team prior to switching to football.

---You cannot deny Mike's Brown's connections to, and affinity for Ohio State. Paul Brown obviously coached there and there's definitely a lot of love there. We've had so many Ohio State players it's more than just that they churn out a lot of NFL talent. Ex: I know there was one year where we needed a kicker and both kickers we brought in were both OSU guys.

So it would make complete sense from Mike's side. He loves Ohio State, and Urban Meyer would almost immediately erase any ill-will from the Taylor era. He's a big name hire, that would drive ticket sales.

It also makes complete sense from Meyer's side. If he's willing to take an NFL coaching job then why not here? He's from Ohio, he still lives in Ohio, and he's got DEEP connections to this city. His sister is here, his son is here, and this area is familar to say the least.

Like I said, I don't give this some great odds of happening. I just find it interesting that teams have contacted him and that's he's not necessarily opposed to the idea of making the jump. There are so many reasons why it would make sense for the Browns/Blackburns to reach out and for him to listen.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Urban Meyer Contacted by Two NFL Teams (Could One Be Us?) - Wes Mantooth - 12-27-2020, 01:08 PM