Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any good 2nd round Wrs this year?
(01-16-2021, 09:41 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: I liked Van Jefferson’s route running better than any wideout coming out last year. He was a 3rd stringer this year for the Rams—but with Kupp injured he looked like a vet today the way he runs routes and gets open. Tee Higgens was a 2nd rounder as well. Chase Claypool. In other years Antonio Brown ended up being the best wideout in his draft. Chad Johnson, etc.

Seems like the 2020 2nd round wide receivers have been as good as the 1st round selections. Granted, that doesn’t mean the same will be the case this year. The top couple wide receivers look better than the top couple last year. But historically, there are a lot of great 2nd round picks at wideout.

If we could trade down to around pick 10 and pick the best edge player, olineman, or defensive player—and pick up a 2nd round pick... we could make out pretty damn good. Might not look like a great move if we pass on Chase, but maybe he’s gone along with Smith. Someone will want to trade up for a QB. If we end up with a pick around 10 and two 2nd rounders that would be pretty good. Potentially grab a promising lineman or edge player with our 1st pick, and be set up with great draft position in the 2nd round. It’s harder to get edge rushers with elite potential in the mid rounds—which is our biggest need on defense IMO.

That said, it’s hard to pass on Chase. But we could very well see Chase, Smith, and Sewell gone before pick 5. If the Jets go with Sewell over Smith, we’ll likely get Chase falling to us though. I would think Saleh would prefer to draft lineman vs skill players based on his background as well (seems like a build through the trenches type based on the 9ers strategy).

I would also like to add that if Chase is there, why not just pick him? If he isn’t though, fans should still be happy—especially if we work a trade down and pick up an extra 2nd.

So I guess I’m proposing a few questions:

Which strategy would improve our team the most—trading down a few spots and then having two 2nd rounders, or picking Chase if he’s there?

Are there any promising 2nd round receivers?

Do we need to invest a high pick at receiver, already having 2 good receivers? Would it be a luxury pick? I agree with BPA strategy, but could we realistically resign Chase, Boyd, and Higgens?

I believe our biggest weaknesses are the trenches on both sides of the ball. I’d be perfectly happy focusing mainly on these areas, provided it’s the right player and a definite BPA pick. Trading down would ensure we are in good draft position to pick BPA at a position of need with our 1st pick, and would give us great draft position in the 2nd round.

You answered it all at the end.  The Bengals are WEAK in the trenches.  They need Blocking and Tackling. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Any good 2nd round Wrs this year? - kevin - 01-21-2021, 06:48 AM