Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bates was the top rated Safety in the NFL by PFF
(01-19-2021, 08:16 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: You lost me there, Nate. Lol

Bates is great and I am really glad his run defense took a huge step forward as the season progressed, but I don't see an Ed Reed ceiling in him.

Ed Reed through 3 years: 21 INT, 44 Pdef, 4 FF, 4.0 Sacks, 3 Def TDs
Jessie Bates through 3 years: 9 INT, 31 Pdef, 2 FF, 0.0 Sacks, 1 Def TD

I look forward to Bates getting some more national recognition and appreciation if he maintains this level of play, but there's a wide margin between that and "Top-5 Safety in NFL History".

Granted, Bates did come into the NFL quite young. Pretty weird to think next year he'll be just 24, so lots of career left ahead of him. I was hoping Lou would be gone and they could get a DC who'd put a bit more focus on ball skills, or practicing catching, or whatever needs to be done. The entire defense (not singling out Bates here) needs to stop turning so many easy interceptions into drops.

Well Ed Reed was probably the greatest Safety I have ever watched play so I getcha. Too high of hope from me with Bates
but still I love how Bates has such great range and instincts. Just saying this is similar and with a better front Bates might 
get more picks. Those numbers from Reed are legitimately mind boggling. Shocked
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bates was the top rated Safety in the NFL by PFF - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 01-20-2021, 04:43 PM