Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taking Advantage of Teams in Cap Hell
I'm curious how much the Bengals will try to take advantage of this unusual situation this offseason. 15 teams are showing negative cap space before signing any draft picks and some teams are in REALLY bad shape.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2021/

New Orleans is $105M over the cap and could be forced to cut/trade one or more of their stud O-linemen. And others like the Eagles($51M) & Atlanta ($33M) recently signed older veterans that would have huge dead cap amounts (ie- cutting these players would make their situations worse) so other players would have to go. Point is, there could be an unusually large pool cap casualties available this offseason.

Focusing their 1-2 bigger signings to these players could have an extra bonus. I think it's no secret that the Bengals love compensatory picks. It was their bread and butter during the Marvin era. At some point in the next few years, I think they'd prefer going back to the strategy of maximizing comp picks. Maybe this year?

I don't think it would surprise many people if both Lawson & Jackson signed elsewhere this offseason. And while I don't see either qualifying for a 3rd round comp pick, maybe they'd bring 4ths?

I'll stop rambling. The coffee hasn't kicked yet and I need to go shovel snow. Thoughts?
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Taking Advantage of Teams in Cap Hell - Schmitbuck - 01-31-2021, 08:20 AM