Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is your Surprise Trade Candidate?
(02-21-2021, 09:56 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I'm not advocating this, because, let's be honest, the Bengals NEED proven NFL talent. I don't see them trading strong players. But, if I were GM and I absolutely HAD to...

Jessie Bates would possibly yield a 1st rounder at a position where the Bengals have a bit of depth. Better yet, maybe Bates for a 2nd & 3rd or another team's starter and a 3rd.

Bates will be commanding a massive contract extension after next season, I believe. To flip that into a 1st, multiple picks, or a player and a pick might be interesting. I would listen fir sure.

Of course they would have to keep Wilson around and find safety depth via FA or draft. But, that would be my shocker trade.

I know you aren't advocating this but Bates for a player and a third or Bates for a second and a third would be truly horrific.

Nobody is giving up a quality O-lineman in a trade for a player - you might at best get a serviceable one or a formerly good one that they want to get rid of (Cordy Glenn MKII) and in case you've forgotten the Bengals last fifteen (15!) 3rd round picks:

Logan Wilson
Germaine Pratt
Sam Hubbard
Malik Jefferson
Jordan Willis
Nick Vigil
Paul Dawson
Tyler Kroft
Will Clarke
Shawn Williams
Brandon Thompson
Mo Sanu
Dontay Moch
Brandon Ghee
Jordan Shipley

You'd want to give up Bates for a 2nd round pick/player they want to bin and a 1 in 5 chance of getting a Hubbard/S Williams/Sanu type player if it pans out?

And the Bengals have zero depth at safety. Other than Bates there is Bell and that's it for safeties under contract.

Bates is ridiculously cheap (even with the performance enhanced pay) in 2021 and the franchise tag for safeties is very affordable ($11m this year) so you could just tag him in 2022 if you can't work out a deal.

To even start conversations the starting point would have to be a first round pick and then something extra. Otherwise this just doesn't make sense from the Bengals' perspective.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Who is your Surprise Trade Candidate? - TJHoushmandzadeh's Shiny Shoes - 02-23-2021, 12:36 PM