Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Green's collapse effect Bengals dealings with Geno?
As most of you probably remember I was against tagging Green to play in 2020. Now the team is facing the same situation with Geno. The facts are not identical, but there are a lot of similarities.

Both Green and Atkins had proven to be elite players in their prime. These type of players get more consideration when they start aging and dealing with injuries because even if they only return at 80%-90% of their previous level they would still be good, above-average players.

Green was a much bigger concern to me because there appeared to be complications with his recovery. Geno had shoulder surgery 3 months ago. The entire decision about what to do with him depends on what the doctors are saying about his shoulder. And that is something us fans will really know nothing about.

However at the time Green was injured in 2018 he was still at the top of his game. He was averaging a career high 15.1 per catch and his 85 yards per game average was the second best in his career. On the other hand Atkins appeared to be on the decline in 2019. Even though he was selected to the Pro Bowl his production dropped dramatically from 2018. He had about half as many sacks (4.5 to 10) and QB Hits (10 to 19), and less than a third as many TFL (4 to 13). Even if he did not deserve the Pro Bowl selection he was obviously still a good, above average starter. But it appeared he was in decline and in 2021 he will be two years older coming off shoulder surgery.

Despite all the questions about Atkins, if we had not just wasted $18 million on A J Green I would almost guarantee that the front office would keep Atkins under his current contract for 2021. But I'll bet the burn of that $18 mistake is still fresh in their minds.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Will Green's collapse effect Bengals dealings with Geno? - fredtoast - 03-07-2021, 12:49 PM