Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is The College System Broken?
If anything High School is far underdone and barely prepares most kids for college and leaves the rest out entirely if they didn't get great grades so it in essence prices all the mediocre kids out of any kind of reasonable college education. Sure, if mommy and daddy are filthy rich you can get a degree from Yale even if you're a total dolt, but an average kid that struggles through school is all but left out of even most state colleges.. That doesn't really even touch on the fact most kids are just not mature enough for much of life even after graduation and even in college. Don't believe that just look at the outrageous spring break events that have become more of an industry than a break from anything..
High school really ought to prepare anyone to make a living, end/stop But they simply don't and all the kids not thought of as college material? They become disposable humans nobody cares about in most cases. I attended a 2 year college I never graduated from and don't know that anything I ever learned there prepared me for a damned thing in life although I did get laid a lot, but try using that on your resume.. Hell, most everything I did study in college no longer even exist in the real world as far as occupations so the way I make my living now is what I've taught to myself long after any kind of schooling. Ya think college teaches anything about table saws other than MAYBE the engineering aspects of it? At most it'll teach math basics and maybe some design fundamentals, but certainly doesn't teach a person how to keep from cutting fingers off.. 
I'd like schools to also teach people basics of mechanics, repair of things...you know, real world day to day things we all need in our lives highly educated or not. I do a lot of home improvement. I know many, many people with advanced degrees who don't have a clue how to actually fix a damned thing in the homes they invest hundreds of thousands into.. That's a hell of a disconnect there and the reason just very minor home repairs cost so much from mostly uneducated guys like myself.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Is The College System Broken? - BFritz21 - 03-23-2021, 04:01 PM
RE: Is The College System Broken? - grampahol - 03-23-2021, 06:37 PM