Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We Need and Anti-Castellini Campaign
(04-28-2021, 04:23 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Winker?

But fair points, I just feel like they at least try more then the team that is a few blocks away and they have to live in a world where guys they do find and develop like Cueto, leave them for the big money.

Speaking of baseball drafts, is there any sport that has less return on 1st round picks then baseball?

I had edited after you started your reply to acknowledge him, but even he hasn't been great in the past. It's been all promise before now. He came into the league in 2017 and before this year he had 2.6 career WAR in 303 games (vs 0.8 WAR in 17 games so far this year alone, so he could be the one to break the streak). Sadly I think the best Reds players drafted in the Jocketty era right this second were Mike Leake and Billy Hamilton. A dictionary definition average pitcher and a fast defender who can't hit himself out of a wet paper bag.

- - - 

The Reds do a far better job with fan interaction and franchise appreciation, but from an actual games and structure standpoint they're shockingly similar in so far as both teams rely on friends and family to run critical positions, they "want" to win but only want to do it their way, and they're both doing a terrible job at it.

Cueto left them because they chose Homer Bailey over him. They believed in Bailey's improvement, got enamored with the no hitters, and ignored all the warning signs and statistical realities. That's also bad FO reasons rather than cap reasons. That's like if the Bengals had chosen to give 4yr/$36m to Auden Tate rather than 4/$43m to Tyler Boyd and then complained about the system of FA when Boyd left. The difference between the Bailey and the Cueto deals was only $25m over 6 years.... 6yr/$105m vs 6yr/$130m. It wasn't like it was an outlandish amount of money for a guy who was already an established ace and Cy Young candidate.

- - -

Probably not, simply because of the nature that a large chunk of drafted players are 17-18-year-old kids. You're getting 21-24-year-olds in the NFL. AJ Green was a 23-year-old as a rookie in the NFL. Imagine if he was 5 years younger and you had to hope and assume he'd grow to the size/ability/etc over the next 4 years while staying healthy.

That's also why they have so many picks each year. In 2019, there were 1,217 players drafted and that's not counting international signees, international draft, etc. It's a system with more failures because it's a system with more picks, but I think it's better than the NFL because they seem to be much more thorough in searching everywhere for talent so less probably falls through the cracks. 

(EDIT: Maybe the NBA outside of the Top-3 picks? I don't follow the sport, but I just looked and in the 5 drafts between 2015-2019, there were 15 guys who were All-Stars out of the 150 picks, and 9 of those 15 were Top-3 picks leaving just 6 out of the other 135 first rounders.)

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: We Need and Anti-Castellini Campaign - TheLeonardLeap - 04-28-2021, 04:59 AM