Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My So-Called Life Without Penei
I’m a card-carrying member of Team Penei but understand that we may look elsewhere on April 29. With that in mind, I wanted to see if I could salvage a draft that didn’t include him. I used PFN and kept it to one trade max just to be realistic. (I find the simulators a bit too generous sometimes. Tongue)

The Bengals are on the clock!

TRADE #5 to Washington = #19, #51 and 2022 R1.

19: Teven Jenkins
OT, Oklahoma State

I love Teven Jenkins, man. Less for football than intangible reasons. Yes he’s violent, but I think that’ll ease once he makes it to the pros and starts playing against grown men. I’m more drawn to his interview maturity and general acumen. He’s a low-maintenance born leader that carries a really high floor, and I think our line could use that kind of stabilizing force. In fact, I rate Jenkins above Slater and Darrisaw primarily for that reason. He can also play inside and outside, has great timing and tested really well. Reminds me of Whit, to be honest.

38: Terrace Marshall Jr.
WR, LSU

Marshall’s been my preferred LSU wideout for months, which is another reason why I don’t want to pick Chase at #5. If Marshall didn’t play in the shadow of Chase and Jefferson in 2019, we might well be talking about him in the Top 5. He can run like a deer, has excellent hands (despite the occasional drop) and NFL size. What’s more, he’s already proven a willingness to defer to other targets in the name of the team, which he'll probably need to do with us. He’s also analytics-friendly. I mean, Chase is being lionized for his 9.9 RAS the other day (27th highest ever) and, while it was impressive, Marshall scored even higher (9.94 - 15th). I’m still dreaming of this outcome, and the draft mocks will at least keep said dream alive for a few more weeks.

51: Ronnie Perkins
EDGE, Oklahoma

Big fan of Perkins too. He might not have the ideal measurements for an NFL edge, but he’s explosive and I love his attitude and relentless pursuit. I can see him on a team like the Ravens for the next decade. He has a lot to learn as a run-stuffer imo but he’s a college kid, man. Nobody’s perfect. If we can pick him up with our second-rounder (or in this case, our second second-rounder) I do it in a heartbeat.

69: Jevon Holland
DB, Oregon

I wasn’t planning to go DB but Holland’s value here is too much to pass up. Ball hawk who can run like the wind with shutdown potential. I don’t know if he’ll survive as a safety at the next level but his diverse skillset can fill several roles for us. His return game comes as an added bonus.

111: Osa Odighizuwa
DT, UCLA

Osa’s a DE convert, but the experiment might be short-lived since he lacks ideal size to play inside (6’2” 280 lb). Either way, he has long arms, big hands and can bench press a small bear. Dynamite pass rusher, decent against the run and carries some potential as a 3-tech. In other words, he’s as close to Geno as I could find, man, gimme a break already. :p

149: Derrick Barnes
LB, Purdue

At this point I’m happy with the first few picks. I’ve addressed our most urgent needs and figure it’s safe to go BPA. Enter Derrick Barnes. He’s flying the under the radar at the moment. Not on many Big Boards other than PFF (#130) and hasn’t been mocked anywhere in the Top 200. But he tested well (8.42 RAS), has great tape from the B1G, and plays with a vengeance. I like this kid. And we need LBs.    

190: Milton Williams
DT, Louisiana Tech

Throwing a bone here to the analytics nerds. I know Williams is the flavor of the month right now (9.96 RAS: 6’3” 285 lb, 34 reps, 38.5 vert, 10 1/8 broad, 4.67 secs, 6.96 3-cone) but I’m not sold on him quite yet. I need to see it on the field. He still looks so raw. But if he’s there at #190 like this, I pull the trigger and ask questions later.

202: Sadarius Hutcherson
OG, South Carolina

Hutcherson’s another sleeper. All over the Big Boards (from 149 to 292) but he's been climbing lately. He thrives in a phone booth with exceptional leverage and hand strength. Problem is that he doesn’t get his hands on everybody. Tongue He's not an adept run-blocker but his pass pro is solid. Former OT and he started his career as an edge (which is hard to believe) so he’s used to being moved around. He’s gained a ton of weight recently but with proper coaching could become serviceable. (Another R5-6 IOL option: David Moore, Grambling State, who showed out at the Senior Bowl.)

235: Damonte Coxie
WR, Memphis.

Last but not least, this is my dude. Coxie had a brutal pro-day so I just assume he's the next Jarvis Landry. He has everything but elite athleticism. Looks like a football player, plays like one, is fearless across the middle, tracks the ball like a pro, and graceful at the catch point. I recommend that you check the video below- what’s not to like? After Washington snagged Antonio Gibson from Memphis last year, we might do well to get our own Tiger. Coxie's a rich man’s Dezmon Briscoe to me and I’d take him anywhere on Day 3.

/end.

-

So... thoughts? Hits and misses? Cheers.

Who Dey
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
My So-Called Life Without Penei - tms - 04-03-2021, 05:21 AM
RE: My So-Called Life Without Penei - tms - 04-03-2021, 05:28 AM
RE: My So-Called Life Without Penei - tms - 04-03-2021, 05:48 PM
RE: My So-Called Life Without Penei - tms - 04-03-2021, 08:16 PM
RE: My So-Called Life Without Penei - tms - 04-08-2021, 05:21 PM
RE: My So-Called Life Without Penei - tms - 04-15-2021, 02:38 AM
RE: My So-Called Life Without Penei - tms - 04-26-2021, 05:21 AM
RE: My So-Called Life Without Penei - tms - 04-26-2021, 05:23 AM