Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's Complain About Netflix
I just wanted to air a gripe I have about Netflix. I see a lot of the usual complaints like: They cancel shows early, Their movies suck, Their prices keep going up, etc.

But I wanted to focus on one thing in particular: How long they take to produce content, or how little they put out over a period of time.

The peferct example of this is Stranger Things...

-Stranger Things first aired in July of 2016. They produced a whopping 8 episodes. They took 1 year and 3 months to start the 2nd season, which consisted of a total of 9 episodes. Then they took 1 year and 9 months to air the 3rd season, which consisted of 8 episodes. And now almost 2 years later we still haven't seen Season 4.

Stranger Things, to date, has produced 27 episodes in 4 years 10 months. By comparison, a show like the X-Files produced 24 or 25 shows every single year during their intial run. Netflix is taking nearly 5x as long to produce episodes at the same output.

Making this all the worse is that of course most of us binge watch these shows. So you watch the entire thing in a day or two, then you have to wait well over a year for more content.

And if you think this is just a Stranger Things issue it's not. Lucifer, which was initially produced by Fox, produced 57 episodes of the show over a 2 year and 4 month period. Netflix has only produced 26 episodes over 2 years.

Another example: The Last Kingdom. Netflix aired their first production of this show in November 2018, which was for 10 episodes. Then they took another year and half to air another 10. As it stands, they've produced only 20 episodes in over 3 years, and that's going to grow. A similar show like Vikings, which was produced by the History averaged about 10 shows every 9 months (90 episodes over 7.5 years).

Even Game of Thrones, a show worth an enormous budget, with a huge cast and multiple sets, produced 73 episodes over 8 years. You could count on 10 new Game of Thrones episodes every single year around the same time up until the last season.

I'm probably boring everyone to death here, and I'm probably didn't need all of these numbers to make this point. But it's absolutely crazy to me how long Netflix takes to produce content. We get shortened seasons and longer waits. It just makes no sense to me.

How hard is it to have a new season of show air every year at the same time? Especially when you're churning out like half the amount of episodes. Network and Cable TV have managed to do this for eternity yet you can't.

Netflix, please fix this. I completely lose interest in these shows. IMHO they've absolutely ruined Stranger Things which started out as pretty decent show. These damn kids are going to have mustaches in the 8th grade at this rate.

Note: I understand the pandemic has affected production. But this isn't really about this. Their scheduling and release dates were already an absolutely mess before this even became an issue.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Let's Complain About Netflix - Wes Mantooth - 05-09-2021, 01:43 PM
RE: Let's Complain About Netflix - jason - 05-10-2021, 08:00 PM
RE: Let's Complain About Netflix - jason - 05-10-2021, 08:15 PM
RE: Let's Complain About Netflix - Synric - 05-11-2021, 11:34 AM
RE: Let's Complain About Netflix - bfine32 - 05-13-2021, 11:36 AM
RE: Let's Complain About Netflix - bfine32 - 05-13-2021, 05:41 PM
RE: Let's Complain About Netflix - Synric - 06-05-2021, 04:37 AM