Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shark Fishing in Nova Scotia
So Nate asked what fish we have in Southern Ontario and after going off on a fishing tangent in JN lol, I thought to post my most-recent charter (I try to go on one, every vacation I take), which I took on my 2 week vacation, driving in Eastern Canada: Blue Shark fishing!

The day starts at 6:00 am, catch bait around 6:30 (we caught 20 Macks and 3 Pollock in about 4-5 minutes, with just a handline; our captain knew the spot perfectly):

Then, we get to the shark grounds around 8:00ish and out goes the chum bucket/pieces of fish. While we waited for the sharks to come, I did some ground fishing and caught 2 Acadian Rosefish (a type of Rockfish, similar to Ocean Perch/Snapper) on one drop:

On the second drop, we get the first shark and the rod that I used had a metal butt, so without a harness, it dug into my gut/crotch area (not the sensitive parts lol) and had a wicked bruise for 13 days after this. After a good 7-minute fight or so, she comes aboard, the second-biggest Blue Shark of the day and a beautiful female:

She was tagged, measured and released, then a card is filled out, in order to track and study the sharks (it is illegal keep a shark in Canada, once caught) and mailed back to the research facility in the States (captain works with the US, in studying them).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Shark Fishing in Nova Scotia - Truck_1_0_1_ - 08-12-2021, 03:59 PM
RE: Shark Fishing in Nova Scotia - Sled21 - 08-15-2021, 02:43 PM
RE: Shark Fishing in Nova Scotia - Sled21 - 08-27-2021, 11:25 AM
RE: Shark Fishing in Nova Scotia - samhain - 09-03-2021, 11:05 AM
RE: Shark Fishing in Nova Scotia - Sled21 - 08-27-2021, 11:35 AM