Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shark Fishing in Nova Scotia
Not 5 minutes after that one, another comes in. A much-quicker fight and the smallest shark of the day, a Porbeagle:

Tagged and released and then I mention to the Captain that the rod is killing me (LOL) and he switches it to a softer butt. I catch another Blue, another Porbeagle (no pics) and then another, smaller Blue, but still great:

This one, I was able to hook myself, so that was great (I typically hook everything myself, but the Captain was adamant that he hook most of them, as the hooks are barbless and it's difficult to do it quickly-enough) and on the day, I hooked 5 of the 10 sharks caught.

A few more come in (all tagged and released, not going to post the pic of each one) and we're looking for shark #10, so I'm playing around with a piece of cut cod on a spinning rod. I get a strike and this thing is pulling me to death. I almost lost the rod 3 times during the fight and after fighting 9 sharks for about 6 hours, I'm exhausted at this point, so the fight lasted almost 15 minutes, but mercifully, it's landed, measured and tagged; the biggest of the day, a 107 pound male, Blue Shark:

After releasing, we call it a day and have a nice, slow trip back into Halifax(ish) lol. It was a wonderful day on the water and not only was the fishing spectacular, we had an awesome captain, his mate was a student at Dalhousie University (Halifax's Uni), who is an Italian chick from 20 minutes south of where I currently live/north of where my wife and I used to live, so it was just fantastic from top to bottom.

Sharks are beautiful creatures and they all deserve the utmost respect and ethical treatment (the amount of loose/broken hooks and parasites we removed from them was insane), so now they can continue to be studied and watched, as they are a key indicator for an ecosystem's health (like frogs are).

Blast of a day!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Shark Fishing in Nova Scotia - Truck_1_0_1_ - 08-12-2021, 04:16 PM
RE: Shark Fishing in Nova Scotia - Sled21 - 08-15-2021, 02:43 PM
RE: Shark Fishing in Nova Scotia - Sled21 - 08-27-2021, 11:25 AM
RE: Shark Fishing in Nova Scotia - samhain - 09-03-2021, 11:05 AM
RE: Shark Fishing in Nova Scotia - Sled21 - 08-27-2021, 11:35 AM