Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shark Fishing in Nova Scotia
(08-24-2021, 10:47 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: lol it was 15.3 Celsius, which converts to 59.5 farenheit.

And yes, that was indeed considered, "warm," when I asked LOL

Those links were superb, thanks for that! Big Grin I now have some resources, if I ever choose to head to those places Wink

The grocery store I used to work at, used to bring in Bluefish from time to time; it's inexpensive, flaky texture and can be cooked in the same manner as the Cods/Haddock. I know they have wicked teeth, but I would definitely be up for catching some, around Montauk, NJ, Cape Cod, etc.

You guys have Cutthroats and Bulls which we'll never get over here; our jealousy is much-more deserved Wink LOL

Trust me, I always carry my Micro gear in my car as well (pen rod, Ultralight spinning reel, couple of small lures and microhooks from Japan) and so many times, when I drive by a stream or pond like you mention, I'm so tempted to stop at the side of the road and just try for 10 minutes... but I've never done it.

My wife is going to be having a girls' weekend (bachelorette) in a few weeks and my parents are going to a cottage for the week (I should be joining them, but I need to work and watch the dog Sad), that same week, so after I'm done work, I should just go for a quick drive to some of said streams/ponds and just give it a shot! Thanks for the help, Matt :)

Last question though; should I use cut up worms (nightcrawlers) for bait or, "match the hatch," and use something like maggots or similarly-small creatures?

If you get a chance to go to the Keys try to go when the shrimp are running. You can fish during the day and go shrimping at night.

https://www.shrimpnfishflorida.com/howtocatchshrimp.html

Montauk is known for its shark fishing. I learned to scuba dive not far from Montauk. The day we were to work on our navigation the seas were too rough so the instructor moved the dive site to a bay with a muddy bottom. Visibility was less than a foot. Great to work on navigation because you couldn’t see shit. I started to notice what looked like pot holes on the bottom. I got curious and decided I’d take a closer look. My face was about 3” away from a huge mouth with more needle like teeth than I could count. That’s when it bolted off the bottom and scared the shit out of me because I thought it was going to eat my face. It was a goose fish.

https://njscuba.net/marine-biology/marine-fishes/ocean-bottom/goosefish/

We had been warned they occasionally like to latch onto a diver that swims too close and if the do, swim to the surface and they’ll let go because they don’t like being off the bottom.

I had a summer job in Maine as a scuba diver. Too poor to afford a dry suit. That water is cold! Especially when you’ve been down for about an hour. About 10’ below the surface you can feel yourself swim through the thermacline where it gets even colder. By the time the dive was over I’d be shivering so hard I couldn’t hit the head trying to take a piss. That’s when they asked me, “You don’t piss in your wet suit?” Northern divers.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Shark Fishing in Nova Scotia - Sled21 - 08-15-2021, 02:43 PM
RE: Shark Fishing in Nova Scotia - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 08-24-2021, 11:52 AM
RE: Shark Fishing in Nova Scotia - Sled21 - 08-27-2021, 11:25 AM
RE: Shark Fishing in Nova Scotia - samhain - 09-03-2021, 11:05 AM
RE: Shark Fishing in Nova Scotia - Sled21 - 08-27-2021, 11:35 AM