Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Zimmer quote about Bengals' playcalling
I was reading the post game Athletic articles for the Bengals this morning and decided to give the Vikings' articles a read as well. Get a little perspective from the other side etc etc.

This quote from Mike Zimmer struck me as very interesting.

Quote:On Monday, Zimmer took the blame for poor play calls more than I’ve heard him do before. He said he had studied tendencies for the Bengals and noticed they almost always passed the ball on second down after a run play. So in those situations, he called for defenses that would be better against the pass, which helps explain why the Vikings’ run defense struggled at times.

“They did change a lot,” Zimmer said. “Those are the things you try to study and go on tendencies and figure out what’s going on. Then, in the course of games, you try to adjust.”

https://theathletic.com/2824369/2021/09/14/vikings-week-1-observations-the-positives-negatives-and-remaining-questions/

So, during the game and during the gameday chat, I saw a lot of people (myself included) asking why we ran so much on 2nd down. The ol' run run pass punt strategy felt real at times and I wondered if that was due to protecting Burrow or just being overly conservative.

Given this quote, maybe Zac called the game that way explicitly to dispel this tendency and/or use his past tendencies as an advantage rather than a weakness.

I know when I play Madden and I'm coming up against one of my friends I've played a lot, it's hard not to notice a person's favorite plays in different scenarios.

I wonder how consciously Zac went about calling his plays for the same reason, expecting Zim to know what tendencies he had in his first two years calling plays.

That's all, just an interesting quote and observation from our former DC and, potentially, evidence that Zac is growing as a playcaller :).
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Zimmer quote about Bengals' playcalling - CJD - 09-14-2021, 11:16 AM