Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Reds Admit They Need To Cut Payroll
The Reds have too much payroll for Cincinnati. They are not New York, Boston or LA. Look to what Tampa does with less payroll, or Oakland.

The Reds owners and GMs are admitting they must cut payroll in 2022 as the #1 priority to stay in business.

Now the huge giant payroll mistake was whoever signed Joey Votto to that 10 year contract that averages 22 million a year. A contract that allows Votto to refuse all trades. The idiot who did that should be horse whipped.

The Reds should still at least try to trade Votto and his last 3 years. Offer him to Yankees or a deep pockets team for little in trade as long as they pick up all or most of his contract. Then sell Votto on how if he really wants to help Cincinnati, he will let the small market city out of this contract.

If the Reds keep Votto, then having both Moustakas and Suarez is stupid in spending. You can only play one 3rd baseman at a time.

OK, lets skip to who Spotrac.com says are Reds Free Agents Now. Some of you love Votto so much, OK, some good players can't be re-signed, as has been the case through the Votto Monster Contract.

CASTELLONOS goes at 18 million surly wanting a free agent pay increase. Stings doesn't it. Oh for the love of Votto.

We can add MILEY, BARNHART, Lorenzen, Givens, Wilson, Cabera, DeShields, Freeman, Taylor, Gale, Milone

That reduces Reds Payroll by 48.9 Million Dollars.

I do not have a list of Reds who are Free Agents in 2023. They spent too much on The Moose, so hopefully he is on that list.

Also consider Winker up for Arbitration as are some other young names. How much more will Winker and India be in payroll.

Again, look to Tampa or Oakland as to how Cincinnati should proceed. Those of you who want Cincinnati to spent like New York, Boston or LA are not living in the real world. For the Reds to keep from going bankrupt or moving to another city, to keep a team in Cincinnati, First Pro Baseball Team, they MUST get on pace with Tampa and Oakland. This means there should NEVER be another 10 year Votto like contract by Reds ever again.

So Reds Fans, get ready for saying Good-Bye to Castellanos, Miley, Barnhart and others as Reds already have said cutting payroll to cover losses in their #1 priority. Where are the losses you may ask. Try very little baseball in 2020, and cardboard fans when there was.

If I was owner, I would have traded Votto years ago, and I would shopping him now. Hey Yankees, do you want Votto ?. He only has a 3 year contract now, certainly you Yankees can handle his 3 years. The Moose is also an expense I would shop around, but if they unload Votto, The Moose could play 1st base. I would move one of them to another team. Actually, I would unload both of them if I could.

Sorry to see Castellanos go, but Reds admit they are over extended on Payroll. Time for Cincinnati to Think Like Tampa. Rays compete with Yankees and Red Sox at half the salary.

If this sounds like MONEYBALL, it is. Except I disagree with Oakland GM who thought it a bad season if you don't win World Series. I feel if you give Cincinnati Fans an exciting team to watch Memorial Day and 4th of July, and fill seats, it really doesn't matter if you are still playing on Halloween in a season that is Too Long. I also disagree with the Oakland GM on Bunting and Base Stealing. Bunting is needed, and so is Base Stealing. So copy Tampa more than Oakland.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Reds Admit They Need To Cut Payroll - kevin - 10-15-2021, 12:50 AM