Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game plan vs. The steelers
This isn't meant to be an actual: "Hey, ZT, you are an idiot if you don't call the game like I would", but just wanting to open a discussion.

Looking at the PFF ratings from their last several games and having been able to watch them several times, here are my observations on the steelers and how I would hope the Bengals attack them:

I would not be run-first. Yep, you read that right. The weakness of the steelers is their safeties and corners. I realize Minkah Fitzpatrick will be back. Fine. That leaves 4 other players that are well below average having to cover the likes of Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Uzo, and Mixon/Evans (more on that later).

I don't want to put Burrow in a position to take a lot of hits, but I feel that being pass-first helps to avoid that. Here's why: If the Bengals run and get stuffed early, it puts Burrow in position to have to complete passes on pass-rush dream positions like 3rd and 10. I would rather see a lot of REALLY short passes (4 yard completions) than a run with no gain.

I would come out in their traditional 11 personnel and having Chase taking the proverbial top off the defense. The steelers are almost certain to double him, and that should allow for more easy completions underneath to the aforementioned players. I also would really try to use Evans more early in the game to keep Mixon fresh for later in the game to help close out the game.

I like the idea of early screens and dumps to the RBs to make guys like Watt chase sideline to sideline. Test that injury. Make them chase, and don't run in to the only real strength of their defense.

When you do turn to the run later in the game, run directly at Watt. Go with 11 personnel, but pull the TE and put the extra OT on his side of the field. They can run the ball out of this formation, but still have receivers and a back that can be eligible for targets on play-action.

I know this is just my thoughts, and it might seem surprising given the success of Mixon in the 2nd half against the Raiders (who pretty much stuffed the Cowboys rush attack, or at least made the Cowboys lose patience and decide to throw it a ton. However, I think this will be the opposite of what they are expecting, and Chase will be a huge asset to force them to keep a safety deep.

Thoughts?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Game plan vs. The steelers - SHRacerX - 11-26-2021, 11:39 AM
RE: Game plan vs. The steelers - Go Cards - 11-26-2021, 01:23 PM
RE: Game plan vs. The steelers - kevin - 11-26-2021, 01:43 PM
RE: Game plan vs. The steelers - SHRacerX - 11-27-2021, 11:33 AM
RE: Game plan vs. The steelers - Whacked - 11-26-2021, 02:19 PM
RE: Game plan vs. The steelers - Sled21 - 11-26-2021, 07:11 PM
RE: Game plan vs. The steelers - QueenCity - 11-26-2021, 10:43 PM
RE: Game plan vs. The steelers - Synric - 11-26-2021, 07:54 PM