Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
What Internet provider do you use and what speed?
(11-09-2015, 02:26 PM)djs7685 Wrote: A friend of mine only has access to 3 Mb/s in his area, I currently have 25 Mb/s. I download large updates to the games we both play in a much shorter length of time. By definition of the words in the English language, I download the updates "faster" than my friend, hence....speed.

No, you have a larger capacity to handle the data transfer rate, which allows you to move data at whatever rate the server is willing to send it. The very definition of bandwidth is around capacity. The rate at which it actually moves is the speed, however what the ISP is selling you isn't the speed of the data transfer (as that is a two sided affair) rather the ability to move a larger capacity of data if available. The reason it is misleading is because they have no control of the data transfer rate of the serve,r only the rate it enters your home, so they are giving you the ability to hand the larger capacity. They can not stake a claim to what rate it will really enter the home, hence the asterisk next to it and the fine print.

This isn't even debatable really, it is commonly understood and accepted by those in the networking community. I only did IS as a minor in college, and it was explained to us very early on the fallacy that is "internet speeds".
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: What Internet provider do you use and what speed? - Au165 - 11-09-2015, 04:03 PM