Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
What Internet provider do you use and what speed?
(11-09-2015, 04:03 PM)Au165 Wrote: No, you have a larger capacity to handle the data transfer rate, which allows you to move data at whatever rate the server is willing to send it. The very definition of bandwidth is around capacity. The rate at which it actually moves is the speed, however what the ISP is selling you isn't the speed of the data transfer (as that is a two sided affair) rather the ability to move a larger capacity of data if available. The reason it is misleading is because they have no control of the data transfer rate of the serve,r only the rate it enters your home, so they are giving you the ability to hand the larger capacity. They can not stake a claim to what rate it will really enter the home, hence the asterisk next to it and the fine print.

This isn't even debatable really, it is commonly understood and accepted by those in the networking community. I only did IS as a minor in college, and it was explained to us very early on the fallacy that is "internet speeds".

Which is exactly why I provided the example that I did.

If you're doing something that allows for up to 100 Mb/s, my download is going to be "faster" at 25 Mb/s than my buddies at 3 Mb/s. The data will be able to be sent on mine at a higher rate, ala perceived as "speed".

There's really no debate that I'm not saying anything that isn't the truth here. You're stuck on throttling while I'm merely stating examples based on an average consumer's needs.

You can enjoy sticking it to the man with your "slower" speeds, I'll enjoy my downloads where I can have an entire discography within minutes ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: What Internet provider do you use and what speed? - djs7685 - 11-09-2015, 04:11 PM