Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
What Internet provider do you use and what speed?
(11-09-2015, 10:52 PM)Stonyhands Wrote: I had a 250 MB/s download service out of Anchorage, AK and the lag when playing Call of Duty on Xbox one or 360 basically made the game unplayable.  It was just impossible to be competitive.  Had a 100 MB/s download service in Central Florida right before moving to Alaska.  I'd take the connection in Florida every day of the week over the faster speed here in Alaska.  Same ISP here in Alaska is now offering 1GB/s internet but I still think the issue with online/console gaming has more to do with location than what one's internet download speed.  Plus here in Alaska GCI is the ISP and they pretty much have a monopoly on Cable and Internet and they have caps on how much you can download each month.  

I once asked them why their internet was so expensive and they said it was because they had the same costs as ISP's in the lower 48 but less people to help pay for them so therefore each customer has to pay more.  I said if this is this case than what exactly is our bandwidth issue?  Why exactly are we capped if we are running the same capability as ISPs in the lower 48 with the same costs and less people?  Hmmmmmmm...

In gaming latency is far more important than bandwidth. Latency would be more realistically compared to speed, as it is the time it takes for a packet to get from one point to another (technically it's the time of the whole round trip).
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: What Internet provider do you use and what speed? - Au165 - 11-10-2015, 09:39 AM