Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Worst Contracts on each team
Bleacher Report listed the worst contract on each team here.

To no one's surprise, Trae Waynes was listed as our worst contract.

Quote:The Contract: Three years, $42 million, expires in 2023

This isn't an indictment of Trae Waynes' play or the Cincinnati Bengals' decision-making. The veteran cornerback just hasn't been able to stay healthy over the course of his contract.

The Bengals signed Waynes in 2020, but a torn pectoral kept him from taking a single snap last year. He played only five games this season, as a hamstring injury sidelined him for another lengthy stretch.

During his limited action, Waynes hasn't contributed much. He had no interceptions and only one pass defended during the regular season.

Meanwhile, the Bengals have found answers in their secondary with other free-agent acquisitions. Chidobe Awuzie is Pro Football Focus' third-highest-graded cornerback, while Mike Hilton has provided strong value for his contract.

I decided to go look at the Bengals contracts currently on the books and I can say, it's incredible how few bad contracts this team has right now:
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/contracts/

Their top contracts are Hendrickson, Reader, Mixon, Boyd, Waynes, Hubbard, Burrow, Chase, Hilton, Awuzie, Hopkins and Bell all above 6 million per year. With the exception of Waynes, I feel like every single one of these contracts are good ones. Every other contract is under 5 million per year so you can't really fault any of those contracts regardless of the players' impact (and I personally don't see any egregious contracts there either).

If I turn to the Bengals Salary Cap tab, we are only carrying 3.5 million dollars in dead cap, accounting for only 1.63% of the overall cap. And that dead cap comes almost entirely from XSF, who would come in 2nd place for worst contract before his release, in my opinion.

And that dead cap drops to just 333k in 2023 from XSF and that is currently the only dead cap on the team. I expect Waynes to be added to that list soon, but not until the off season. His dead cap would be only 5 million.

I know our front office gets a ton of crap for being cheap, but I do think they are really good at managing the cap and preventing bad contracts and dead cap from cut players. Thought I'd just point this out. Our future is bright with no constraints on our cap and tons of space to make our team even better!
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Worst Contracts on each team - CJD - 01-20-2022, 10:45 AM
RE: Worst Contracts on each team - CJD - 01-20-2022, 11:31 AM
RE: Worst Contracts on each team - samhain - 01-20-2022, 11:22 AM
RE: Worst Contracts on each team - CJD - 01-20-2022, 07:48 PM
RE: Worst Contracts on each team - CJD - 01-20-2022, 08:08 PM
RE: Worst Contracts on each team - magikod - 01-20-2022, 11:37 AM
RE: Worst Contracts on each team - CJD - 01-20-2022, 11:45 AM
RE: Worst Contracts on each team - magikod - 01-20-2022, 12:11 PM
RE: Worst Contracts on each team - Au165 - 01-20-2022, 11:43 AM
RE: Worst Contracts on each team - CJD - 01-20-2022, 11:50 AM