Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
What was going on the last time the Bengals were in the AFC Championship
(01-26-2022, 03:07 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: I thought this might be kind of fun to look back at.

The Bengals played the Bills on January 8th 1989.

From Billboard Hot 100 number ones of 1989 on January 7th the top song was "Every Rose Has Its Thorn" by Poison.

The number 1 movie January 8th 1989 was Rain Man.

The top 5 TV shows were The Cosby Show, Roseanne, Cheers, A Different World, America's Funniest Home Videos (rest in peace Bob Saget). Number 6 was The Golden Girls, so shout out to Betty White may she also rest in peace.

In 1989 we didn't have widespread access to the Internet.  We paid bills in person or by writing and mailing checks instead of online payments.  We did our shopping in physical stores and malls were still popular. 

If you wanted to watch a fairly recent movie at home you drove to the store and rented it on VHS and had to return it before late fees. Side note: In my family this was called pizza night where we would all go to rent a movie (and argue about what to rent) and eat pizza on a Friday as part of an end of week reward. You could also record a limited amount of TV on your home VHS but heaven forbid you accidentally record over one of the above named shows before everyone else got to watch it.  MTV was still known for broadcasting music videos. 

Anyway I just though it was kind of fun to look back at 1989 when the Bengals were last in the AFC Championship.  I'm sure some of you can add a few more snapshots from then.  I wanted to also include pictures of what was popular to wear then but got too lazy to look up the pictures.

Awesome thread George. Great times, I was only 7 but I remember those times well and go back to those times often 
wishing I was older at the time to really take those times in. Instead I just watch a lot of 80's shows like Cheers and the
good old movies of the time which I think might of been the best decade of entertainment movie wise.

Music was great at times and weird as hell at times as was the fashion lol
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: What was going on the last time the Bengals were in the AFC Championship - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 01-26-2022, 07:45 PM