Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Hobson’s annual disappointment cap article
(03-09-2022, 12:46 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Exactly.

When Burrow is making $50 million a year, it's going to put a premium on our drafting and being able to get production out of rookies and young guys...as we won't be able to keep everyone.

When we started losing Jones, Sanu, Zeitler, etc...that was the beginning of the end of those Bengals teams competing.

Part of this model, will likely be getting good at getting production from low paid WR's and RB's. Teams that win the SB, generally don't have leading rushers that make more than $2 million a year. And you generally don't see 2-3 high paid WR's. With an elite QB, you can get production from lesser WR's.

Now offensive line seems to be a big thing. As does a defensive line.

In recent years, Bengals have shown they're pretty good at drafting skill position players.
We haven't really seen them being good at drafting well on defense yet aside from maybe Logan Wilson.
They have not had success with any drafted OL aside from Jonah Williams.

Hopefully this year we see some Day 1/2 draft picks for defense to see how well they come along as rookies or sophomores.

If I'm looking into the future with a big Burrow contract on the books, I'd be looking to fill the OL with veterans along with a handful of defensive positions. I'd fully plan to have primarily rookie contracts for my skill positions aside from 1-2 key guys (like Chase/Higgins). Some defensive starters also on rookie contracts.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hobson’s annual disappointment cap article - ochocincos - 03-09-2022, 01:06 PM