Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
Do we need a new song for the Bengals?
(03-25-2022, 09:37 AM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: Classic rock is only big on the radio to people who are old enough to have heard it when it was new rock.

Yes, modern music (including modern rock) will endure just the way music from every era endures.

(03-25-2022, 02:18 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: I hate to break this to you, but being born in 1982 makes you the target audience for dad rock. That's exactly the age range of the typical Guns N' Roses listener. Reach back one more decade as you have done and you're nearing Grandad Rock.

If you like those things, that's fine. But when people say anything in the vicinity of "old music good, new music bad", they might as well be dragging themselves to the graveyard. My first favorite bands were Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd when I was a teenager (born 1987) and had no consistent exposure to the breadth of the music world beyond what, you guessed it, my dad played in the car. While I still respect the influence bands like those had, I would be more than happy to live my entire life from this point forward without ever hearing the same tired classic rock radio shit that has been played on loops for 30-50 years. "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "Hotel California" make me want to break the nearest speaker.

I think The National, a very popular modern rock band, blows either LZ or PF out of the water. Not everyone will agree with that specific assertion, and that's okay. But good god people, the world still turns post-grunge.

Dude, stop it.

I became a fan of the Who when I was 12 (2001) and I am not part of any demographic that would classify as liking, "dad rock," whatever the **** that is. Same age as you, basically.

Yes, there is a lot of great music nowadays that will indeed endure, but there is also 50 billion times the amount of shovelmusic nowadays as well, hence the disdain for modern music of the past 20 years, when pop has become more-commercial and saturated than it ever was prior to the millennium.

And FFS (directed at everyone), there's no such thing as, "Classic Rock." Rock is Rock, period. Whether it is from 1965 or 2035, Rock is Rock. If you want to break it down into subgenres/offshoots like Alternative, Metal, etc., then it's one thing, but classical music/opera is still referred to as such nowadays, despite the vast majority of pieces having been written in the Renaissance and up to 1900. Rock as a genre hasn't changed in the past 50 years, but there have been subgenres and offshoots that have been created with the evolution of the genre.

Nothing, "classic," about it.

I agree with you that I have the same disdain for A SHIT-TON of music (including the two tracks you mentioned) and I would also go happily for the rest of my life, if I didn't hear any of them.

But like it or not, these are still GREAT tunes, overrated and overplayed as they may be. Every time I hear Zeppelin, I shut off any music and haven't listened to the radio since 2012 or so (all iPod).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Do we need a new song for the Bengals? - Truck_1_0_1_ - 03-25-2022, 02:27 PM