Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals' 2022 Schedule and Record
I read where some of you were talking about the Bengals' '22 schedule and how it is the third toughest schedule in the league. I haven't viewed the schedule yet but I was wondering how you think the tougher schedule affects the way the regular season plays out compared to last season.

I think a lot of Bengals' detractors look at last season and see that a lot of things had to go just right for us in order to get our 10 wins. We stayed relatively healthy, for the most part , and quite a few things did bounce our way, particularly in the season's home stretch.  So, on the surface, one could look at the Bengals and say that they were fortunate to get to 10 wins and, with a tougher schedule this season(even with some upgrades in our weakest area), we might struggle to equal that win total this season. I get that argument. However, when you go a little deeper, I think a case can be made that the Bengals' finished with about the number of wins they should have had.

Even if you consider us the recipients of a bunch of "lucky" breaks last season that maybe resulted in two or three wins above where we would have finished without all the good fortune, the fact remains we lost games that we shouldn't have lost  . Up 11 midway in the 4thQ against the deplorable Jets and Mike White- should have won ; fumblelitis by our former punt returner and Zac not letting Joe B. finish the job against SF-should have  been a win ; McPherson uncharacteristically missing two FGs(one by inches) against GB- could have won that one ; second Cleveland game if we had played at full strength- would have won ;  da Bears - one missed tackle late in the game that could have swung that one our way ;  Chargers' game- without the Mixon fumble late in the 3rdQ, we score and take the lead and maybe win that one.

So, our critics say we were lucky to win 10 games  and very well could have only won seven or eight without the lucky breaks. Maybe. But, on the other hand, we very well could have and , maybe should have,  won three or four more games that we lost.  We could have conceivably had 13 or 14 wins instead of 10.  A case can definitely be made that games we were fortunate to win and that the games we lost but should have won balanced out and we ended up with the win total we should have had.

My question is this? With the tougher schedule in '22 but with  improvements in personnel, particularly in our weak areas, how does it play out in 2022?  Does the better roster balance out the tougher schedule or does one outweigh the other?

Do you side with the critics who say we were probably more of a  8-9 type team than 10-7 last season and therefore 10 wins this season would be what we should expect?  Or, do you agree with me that our 10-7 record last season  was definitely no fluke and could have easily been 13 or 14 wins instead?

With the tougher schedule but improved roster, do you think we will fall shy of last years 10 regular season wins or improve on that total?

Also,  if someone could post the schedule here I would appreciate it.  With a team as talented as the Bengals, I don't think there are any games you could just chalk up as an automatic loss. But if you are predicting 4, 5 , or more losses, which games are you predicting as an "L" ?  

Also, how many wins to you think it take to win the North and how many wins to have the best record in the AFC?

I know that's a lot of questions but I truly value your input.  You all are the smartest football people I know.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Bengals' 2022 Schedule and Record - Science Friction - 03-29-2022, 06:14 PM