Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Is Jackson Carman "Your" Starting LG
(04-07-2022, 04:02 PM)CloeHokie Wrote: Yeah, I am not optimistic. And again if he can beat Green/Zion out in camp etc great! We have an extra great OL to fill in. He ranked 67 out of qualifying Guards. 32 times 2 is 64. That means he somehow graded out worse than everyone including 3 back up players.

I do not want to speculate about the O line. But rather get the best guys and let them compete for the best starter. I do not mind speculating about the 4th CB

Again - This comes down to who is there at 31.

The top DT will not be there. Neither will the top CBs from every Mock Draft I have done in the last week. And its a LOT of them. Maybe once out of 20 times a CB falls. Never seen one of the DTs fall. So if they are not there and Green/Zion are it is a no brainer to me. I do not want to reach or take a DT that doesnt even fit what we need just cause we need a DT. We need a 3 tech not a nose tackle

I guess my mentality has always been that I want and expect someone I take in Rd 1 to be a starter within a year.
I look to take someone in Rd 2 who I expect to be a starter within 2 years.
I'm not spending a 1st round pick on a guard and then potentially have Carman or the newly-drafted 1st rounder ride the bench as a backup.

I'd instead rather put that 1st rounder toward a position with a starter who is set to become a FA next year or at least an opportunity to be part of a heavy rotation.
DL always rotates, thus resulting in immediate contributions early in career.
CB will have Apple hitting FA after this season, plus he's not really even great.
Safety has two really good starters in place, but both are set to hit FA next year. I'd like to keep both of them though beyond this year (at the right cost). There's only two safeties I feel comfortable taking at 31 though, and that's Hamilton (no chance he falls outside Top 10) and Hill.
Brisker doesn't really seem like the ideal Bates replacement unless they change up how they use the FS. Cine, while he has speed, didn't look to be much of a pass defender in college. He can hit hard though. I don't see Pitre as a Bates replacement either. Maybe one of those guys can replace Bell, but Bell shouldn't command nearly what Bates will in FA.

EDIT - Let me be clear regarding LG. I'm ok with a stopgap cheaper veteran to potentially start and Carman ride the bench, but just for this year. But I'd want him to start next year, otherwise he wasn't worth the pick. I don't want him becoming another Sample, where he's a backup going deep into his rookie contract. That's what mid-round picks are for.
I get though that the goal is to have the best OL possible. I just hate seeing potentially wasted early draft pick selections.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is Jackson Carman "Your" Starting LG - ochocincos - 04-07-2022, 04:12 PM