Poll: How do you think the Bengals should be approaching this 2022 offseason?
Win Super Bowl LVII at all costs.
Optimize the duration of the perceived "Super Bowl window".
Adopt a long-term sustainability approach.
Do something else entirely.
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What should the core philosophy of offseason '22 be?
I intend to include a poll here, but the function is confusing. Maybe it'll show up after I hit "post". If not, whatever, I can describe the options here.

I am wondering what everyone believes a) should be the driving philosophy of the current offseason, and b) how it might look for the team/franchise to live by that philosophy. Some options:

1) Win Super Bowl LVII at all costs.

This might seem obvious, but I will clarify: this is the truest expression of the "all-in" philosophy, similar to the one the Rams employed (successfully) last season. The future beyond this season is put aside to maximize the push for a Lombardi Trophy right now. This might amount to high-risk moves like trading up in the draft for a major prospect that might tip the scales, or foregoing cap security by making a Stephon Gilmore splash signing (for example), or going for a huge, unexpected trade.

2) Optimize the duration of the perceived "Super Bowl window".

This is more future-oriented and implies less risk than the previous option, but it still amounts to giving philosophical priority to winning a championship (or more). This would be, essentially, the Bengals trying to optimize their overall chances across the rookie contracts period of its offensive core and in the early stages after big financial milestones (e.g., Burrow extension). This doesn't necessarily mean the 2022 NFL season would have the same promise as it might with approach #1, but perhaps it extends/optimizes solid championship opportunities for a longer duration of a few or handful of seasons.

3) Adopt a long-term sustainability approach.

Ensure the roster is built practically and sustainably to establish the right precedents and structures so that it can thrive in consistent playoff contention throughout the life of Burrow's Bengals contracts. This is the most careful approach (at least among those that presume essential players are retained long term like Joe and Chase). Instead of "win the Super Bowl" being a sole, driving focus, the focus is instead on long-term contention and the potential that long-term contention could eventually produce a championship.

4) Do something else entirely.

Here's your "other". Polls should have an "other". I don't know what this might be, but that's the point. Here you are, "other" fans.

---

Keep in mind that this question is meant to refer specifically to actions that the Bengals may take in the 2022 offseason. Some of the longer-term options certainly reach beyond that duration, but I am referring to the decisions made in the present and how they can impact future scenarios.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
What should the core philosophy of offseason '22 be? - JaggedJimmyJay - 04-13-2022, 06:06 PM