Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Burrow's interception issue over his career
(05-16-2022, 10:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Some fans did not like it in 2020 when I kept reminding them that Burrow's passer rating was 24th in the league.  But at the same time I always pointed out that as a rookie behind a terrible O-line Burrrow had the second lowest int percentage in the league (1.2%).  That is a ridiculous number for rookie.  It is also a ridiculous number for a QB with no running game who knows he has to carry the offense.

So I did not really panic when Burrow came out throwing all those picks last year.  I knew that if he could not read defenses he would never have had a 1.2% interception percentage as a rookie.

But a big reason that after 14 weeks we were just 7-6 and struggling to stay in the playoff race was that Joe was leading the league in interceptions (14).  But once he relaxed and stopped trying to force too many high risk passes we caught fire.  Here is an interesting breakdown of Joe's career.

First 11 games..........  5 ints
Next 11 games.......... 14 ints
Last 8 games.............  2 ints

I don't think we have anything to worry about Burrow coming out throwing a bunch of picks.

I think a lot of it could be attributed to just getting on the proverbial same page with his guys.  Joe had some really bad INTs (the pick six on the first drive against the Browns) and some that weren't his fault at all (the would-be TD that Chase bobbled in to an INT).  He did hold on to the ball longer as the season wore on, I felt, and that caused a lot of sacks.  

One thing I hope that improves isn't just the time he has for scanning the field, but if it isn't there and a defender is bearing down, just check it down or throw it away.  Fewer hits reduces risk of injury and that is the one thing that could derail this season more than any other.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Burrow's interception issue over his career - SHRacerX - 05-21-2022, 07:55 AM