Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MY Old Man's Brain Is Deteriorating
This is basically just a thread that I need to let my emotions out, so I apologize to anyone that opened this thread looking for any kind of humor or anything that would have any relevance to their life. No one has to read this because I'm just trying to vent to hope that it helps me feel better.

My old man is my hero and the smartest person I know. He grew up in poverty, went to college on an academic scholarship, played baseball and basketball (he's actually the D1's all-time leading field goal percentage leader at 100%, 1 for 1 ), married his childhood love, got a job at an accounting firm, took a risk and became a partner at a smaller accounting firm, grew it into a bigger company in the area, still donated time and money to charity while doing his own work, and was just a friend to everyone.

At one point, he won an award for one of Northern Kentucky's most distinguished people.

I could go on for a few more long paragraphs about his accomplishments and what he has done for other people.

He was the opposite of a tight ass. Not on stupid things just to spend money, but we lived in a nice house and had average cars. We had nice golf clubs but we always played with knock-offs because there was no reason to play with clubs that cost hundreds more but didn't improve your play.

After the wreck, once we realized we wouldn't go bankrupt from my medical bills (even though we got screwed in the ciivl suit and didn't get any money), he LOVED TO SPEND MONEY! Not on stupid things but he liked to have nice things and he liked to make sure our family was taken care of. He'd never hesitate to pick up big tabs or anything.

For example, my sister's his only daughter, so her wedding was RIDICULOUS!

He was also a big tipper if the person serving was a nice person and did their job, which is something he passed down to us: treat people good if they treat you good.

He is diabetic and has a bunch of other health problems, so he was lucky to make it to retirement at age 63 (65 was the normal retirement age here but the deal he signed when he bought into the company let him retire at 63), but he has been relatively healthy and seemed like himself. He still has a lot of money. He's at no risk of ever having any financial problems.

Lately, though, he has seemed off. He's in Hilton Head, but he sends out this email to our family mad at me because I had bought a few meals on his account at the country club and a few drinks and had tipped pretty well, just like he alway did. Granted that I didn't know that the club already took 17%, but it still only came out to about 50 or 60 bucks.

I'm confused but I apologize and say that I'll stop spending money and whatever. My brother tells me that I can charge things to his account.

Yesterday, I hear some noise at the country club on my way home from the gym, so I roll over to see what's going on and they're having a swim meet. I start typing to people like I always do and most people always love seeing me. Some people ask why I'm not drinking (there's a big bar near the snack shop), so I just joke and say that my tight ass old man cut me off, which everyone laughed at, but a few people bought me drinks. I don't like to mooch but I'm also not going to be rude.

I told that to one of our good friends and he texts him and jokingly says "Just wanna say thanks because Brad has bought us 10 rounds so far!"

My old man texts me PISSED and says "you're done, blah, blah, blah," and I explain that someone is messing with him because I had only had one or two drinks and someone else had bought them for me!

He doesn't even listen and texts back "time will tell who you're spending money on AGAIN."

I didn't even respond to that because he's obviously just losing it.

I text my siblings and their spouses to make sure I wasn't just seeing things wrong and my brother agreed that he's losing it and my sister said that he tells people that her and her husband put things on their tab.

This happened quickly. It seemed like months ago he was completely fine.

I hope it's just a phase or something but I have a feeling that we're going to have to start enjoying the time left that we can spend with him because he does seem fine at times.

Luckily, my mom still seems as sharp as ever, but I do feel bad that she has to put up with everything.

Sorry for the long read, but has anyone else ever dealt with this sort of thing?

Messages In This Thread
MY Old Man's Brain Is Deteriorating - BFritz21 - 06-03-2022, 03:18 PM