Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Was the play where Apple got faded by Kupp in the 4th a bad play by Apple?
I want to blame the coaches or Apple for this play but I’m starting to come to the conclusion it’s neither their faults.

At snap he’s right across from Cooper Kupp symmetrically. Smart move. He’s not tipping his hand either way. He’s showing straight up alignment. Kupp is going fade route here. Iv looked at his route 1000 times. It was not an option route where he could choose to go outside or inside. He was going outside fade no matter what.

When the Rams snap Apple shifts a step to his right just inviting the fade which is SMART. Then he doesn’t press which i think is utterly stupid. Then on top of not attack Kupp at the LOS or within the 5 yards he then doesn’t react quickly to Kupps break. Kupp didn’t make an elite move or an iconic difficult catch. He gave Apple a simple 1, 2 and beat him to a spot.

Iv racked my brain at what else Apple could’ve done and i keep coming to the conclusion that the only way he could’ve guarded it better was the be a Mind reader, 6 inches taller, or twice as fast.

Stafford threw it so quickly no way Apple could’ve looked back at the ball. Let’s say Apple takes away the outside fade, he’d a been allowing Kupp to slant inward where no one was helping. Any pass would’ve worked.

My other option is give safety help. We couldn’t do that either. We needed the run support help. It was 2nd and goal. We had to make sure we guarded the run. Man coverage was the only option
-Housh
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Was the play where Apple got faded by Kupp in the 4th a bad play by Apple? - Housh - 06-09-2022, 10:42 AM