Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone notice the lack of tropical storms and hurricanes this year?
A few things to consider.. First I want a green system as much as anyone, but there are definite constraints. A large amount of the raw materials at this time are not that easy to come by and of those raw materials we're in fierce competition for from every country also trying to get a hold of them. China is the biggest competitor,  but hardly the only one. Things like rare earth minerals are mostly located on the other side of the planet and a bunch are in conflict zones. 
Silicone is absolutely essential, but the silicone needed has to be highly refined and that takes a lot of dirty energy to produce.  The vast majority of nickel is in Russia or Ukraine where we're not going to access it anytime soon. Copper has to be mined in vast quantities and processed and it too is getting harder to source. 
The point about the difference between green tech and fossil fuels is we have no problem sourcing fossil fuels, but green tech supply lines are strung out all over the world ..It's supply and demand and demand is outstripping supply. It's just one of many reasons we're still having wars and there are very likely going to be more wars on the way for the supplies. 
Hey, if we could all meet and sing kumbya and get along great our problems are solved, but...Last time I checked that ain't happening. 
We still have more than enough countries incapable of using green tech and even more who can't afford it. The planet just keeps getting hotter in the meantime. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Anyone notice the lack of tropical storms and hurricanes this year? - grampahol - 07-23-2022, 06:51 PM