Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paying the O-line. What we did back in '05.
After the '04 season the Bengals felt that they had one of the better offensive lines in the league, but they were worried about being able to afford all of them. None of them were under contract for more than two more seasons. They used a 4th round pick on a Center (Ghiaciuc) and then re-signed OC Rich Braham, but only for 2 years.

After the '05 season they drafted Whitworth in the 2nd round then gave contract extensions to RT Willie Anderson, RG Bobbie Williams, and LT Levi Jones. I believe that Jones and Anderson were the highest paid tackle duo in the league, and Bobbie was well paid also.

After the '06 season they let Eric Steinbach leave in free agency. I think they felt the same way about Steinbach that i did, he was a very good player, but not worth the money Cleveland gave him. His contract was either the highest or second highest for an OG at that time. Plus, by then Whitworth had a season under his belt and was ready to step in and start at LG.

That is kind of what I expect the Bengals to do this time. We like all of our starters on the O-line, but we can't give them all the type of contracts they could get on the free agent market. We have already given Whit a little more time just like we did with Braham. Obviously the plan is for one of our top two picks last year will be ready to step in when Whit leaves.

If the coaches like what they see in Bodine, then we might pay both Smith and Zeitler. Ten years ago the Bengals stepped up and paid three of our O-lineman top money in addition to the short deal they gave Braham. We already gave Boling his sweet deal, so that just leaves Zeitler and Smith. And if we had to spread it out we could pay Dre this off-season, and wait until after the '16 season to re-sign Zeitler.

But I am guessing we let Dre walk and give Zeitler a long term deal. I see either Cedric or Jake starting at RT next year, and then both starting in '17 when Whit's contract is up. And if we take another O-lineman high in our next draft he would still have a year ton develop before competing for a starting spot.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Paying the O-line. What we did back in '05. - fredtoast - 11-15-2015, 04:33 PM