Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
7 Winners & 3 Losers From Week 2 Against The Giants
(08-22-2022, 12:15 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I think it's another Drew Sample sitch; people are angry ever since Carman was picked, that anything and I mean ANYTHING he does negatively, people waste no time piling on and shitting on the guy, while Volson gets unlimited praise and love, simply because he's the guy in competition with Carman.

I HATE this attitude and POV: granted, Carman has some other baggage, but the guy actually flashed at times last year and isn't a total write-off.

I just want the best player to be the starter, but having to disparage someone just because you don't like them and puff up the guy in direct competition with them, just smacks of unfairness.

Volson had a great first half until the last drive, where he looked awful. Then he had a so-so 3rd Q, with some decent run blocking, until he fell apart completely in the 4th, only really having a standout play on the Patrick TD. Just last week, he was having people cream their pants over how well he played, many completely disregarding that he was playing against 4th stringers (the media did this, each and every outlet). When Zac was non-committal on the LG position and said that Volson has some things to clean up, people threw up their arms all angry and confused, media included. When a guy has COVID and can't play as a result, the narrative shifted to, "oh yeah, Volson has it in the bag now, he's the front-runner for the position."

After last night, NEITHER guy is a front-runner for the LG position and that's a fact. But the media and big-time fans were all, "Volson played an outstanding game!" I'm not on Carman's side, nor am I against Volson; I come at this as a 3rd party, with wanting the best person to make it and after 2 PS games, it may be a better option to either bring someone off the street or (as much as people hate it), platoon the two until one shows out the most.

As I, Ocho and Whatever have posted for the past week+, Volson is great and anchoring and stopping the bullrush, while his drive blocking is also good.

Other than that (moving laterally, pass-rush moves outside of bullrushing, pulling, blocking on angles, assignments, etc.), he has looked every part the rookie from a FCS school (albeit the best FCS school). Both need to play with the 1s before any decision is made, as communication was also a problem last week (didn't seem like a problem yesterday though), but people aren't calling this battle fair down the line.

I’m with you, I don’t care who starts, I just want a good player at LG.
If Volson had been pulled at half time, we’d all be saying he’s the next coming of Max Montoya.
So we find out he got gassed by the end of the game. So? That’s just more conditioning. I bet our starters would be gassed too at this stage.

He made some mental errors. So? That’s a good thing at this stage. By all accounts he learns from his mistakes.

He showed he can compete with 1’s, he’s got a higher ceiling, he is an asset to the Oline. I hope Carman rises to the occasion this week and next and blows Volson out of there. Or visa versa.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: 7 Winners & 3 Losers From Week 2 Against The Giants - bengals1969 - 08-22-2022, 01:20 PM