Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Confession of a Dalton Defender
I posted this on Go Bengals.com and thought those of you not on that board might like to read this as well:

Greetings, my fellow Who Dey-vians!

I know most of you don't know me (as I come from the "other" board), but let me preface this post with the fact that I like Dalton. I like him as our QB. And I think he can help us win a Super Bowl. I firmly believe Dalton has the potential to be a very good QB, possibly even elite (for exhibit A, look at October 2013). Yes, I know that currently Dalton is an average QB whose 2 main issues are consistency (sub-issue is that when he's bad, he's BAD) and Prime Time/Playoff performance, but I think he can and will overcome those. Look at last season. In the first 6 games, last season, Dalton was pretty consistent. He wasn't great nor was he bad in all 6 games, but he maintained a level of consistency we haven't seen from him.

Because of my opinion of his potential, I do find myself defending Dalton from the "haters" (not sure what the term is for the Dalton critics on this board) who basically feel that Dalton has already reached his ceiling and thus already claim him to be garbage or a bad QB (even though he's currently an average QB and that's not too bad considering who we've had to watch behind center for our beloved Bengals).

With all of that said, I have a confession to make. In a way, I'm kind of like 90s Mike Brown. 90s Mike Brown was always searching for that ideal, franchise QB. The QB that towered above the offense; that could sling the ball from one end zone to the other while on his knees; the QB that struck fear in defenses; the QB that would win him a Super Bowl. 90s Mike Brown was ALWAYS searching for that QB and I think there's no argument that Dalton is certainly NOT that QB. When Dalton was drafted, like Mike Brown, I wanted Mallet. I came to accept Dalton because I thought he gave us the best chance to win right away, but something inside of me still wanted that gunslinger.

Recently, we've signed Terrell Pryor. And deep inside the recesses of my mind, where my secrets are buried, I find a small shred of a wish (hope?) that Pryor ends up starting for us and turns into an amalgamation of Brett Favre's passing with Mike Vick's running ability.

I truly believe we will win more than 1 playoff game this year (of course, I also thought so this time last year, too LOL) with Dalton playing a major role. But deep down, I'm hoping for something different.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Confession of a Dalton Defender - PhilHos - 05-25-2015, 09:29 PM