Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Confession of a Dalton Defender
(05-26-2015, 03:24 PM)djs7685 Wrote: He threw for a bunch of yards a time or two, great. He threw for a lot of TDs once, that is impressive for sure. It will become a bit less impressive if the years go on without replicating it though. When is the last time a one hit wonder was remembered unless the run came in the playoffs? I don't know how 1 year of a couple of decent stats outweighs all of the negatives. It's not like he's been lighting the league on fire and no one has noticed. He had a couple of impressive stats one year but he had other stats that were so bad that they brought his ratings down even with 33 TD passes and over 4k yards.

I'm not sure if there even were any QBs to start their career that way, but forget my exact numbers that I've been using as random examples. People have been sooo focused on my numbers and irrelevant parts of my posts and completely missing my points.

If Andy played just a bit better in the regular season, IMO his perception around the league would be different. If he were a consensus top 10 QB yet struggled to win a playoff game, people would look at him differently. He'd still have his critics, but it wouldn't be nearly as bad as it is right now. I did mention earlier that a one hit wonder in the regular season isn't remembered, but I'm talking as if he played well for a few straight years but struggled in the playoffs. Not many people thought Ryan, Romo, or Rivers were crappy QBs for the sole reason that they were impressive for a handful of years in the regular season. Some of these guys got labeled as not being able to win in the playoffs, but they absolutely got/get more respect than Andy. That's my point. Andy would definitely get more respect if he performed better in the regular season, and I think you'd see a LOT more people that believe in him to get over the playoff hump as well.

Mediocre regular seasons + crap playoffs = little hope
Good regular seasons + crap playoffs = more hope than just a little

That's my point.

Dalton in 2014 led the Bengals to the playoffs for the fourth time in his four years as a pro, joining Baltimore’s Joe Flacco as only the second starting QB in the Super Bowl era to lead a team to postseason in each of his first four campaigns ... Selected as an alternate for 2015 Pro Bowl ... Could tie Flacco’s record of five straight years in playoffs in ’15, and could surpass it in ’16 ... Has not missed a start in his career, and with 40-23-1 record, has best regular-season winning percentage (.633) of any Bengals QB with 10 or more starts ... Led a two-game sweep of division rival Baltimore in ’14, with fourth-quarter comebacks in both games ... Had career-best completion percentage (64.1) in ’14, and scored five TDs himself, tying Jack Thompson’s 1979 record for Bengals QBs ... Set franchise records in 2013 for single season passing yards (4293) and passing TDs (33) ... Signed six-year contract extension (through 2020) on 8-4-14. Surely He has a few things going for him. He is not an elite quarterback, but not the worst either. If he doesn't show marked improvement this year with all his weapons available, then we definitely have a problem.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Confession of a Dalton Defender - PhilHos - 05-25-2015, 09:29 PM
RE: Confession of a Dalton Defender - Big Hammer - 05-26-2015, 07:53 PM