Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals claim Max Scharping Off Waivers
(08-31-2022, 04:55 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm not going to make an assumption y'all are trying to say Volson actually performed better than his pressures indicated.
But I did get to watch that Preseason Game 2 and his limited athleticism was evident that he could struggle blocking defenders if having to cover a bigger area than a phonebooth.

I do want to point out too that Scharping has better athleticism than Volson.
And Scharping has not allowed more than 3 sacks in a season before.
Only 6 sacks across over 2000 offensive snaps in the regular season is pretty solid.

Could Volson be as good or better? He might.
But wouldn't people feel more comfortable with someone with experience like Scharping over the gamble that is Volson?
At least for the first part of the season while Volson still continues to grow?

Let a high level NFL and vet center call the protections and check out of plays before we worry too much is what I'd say.

I feel like I have explained this before but they are going to let their drafted players attempt to man the spot. If the quality is even remotely close between say Volson and Scharping they will go with Volson for experience and  contract reasons. You learn to play OL in this league by playing in real games. We have to play guys to develop them and that is what they will do here unless it gets really bad, which the odds of that happening if all else on the line are healthy are probably slim.

Outside of week 1, we don't really see a an interior defender until the back half of the year. He will get plenty of reps to know what we have by that point.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bengals claim Max Scharping Off Waivers - Au165 - 08-31-2022, 05:00 PM