Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Theory as to our Offensive Ineptitude
(09-19-2022, 09:49 AM)PhilHos Wrote: We all know the offensive line is out of sync and that's due to the fact that they had no preseason time to gel. I would submit to you that in addition to the OL being out of sync with each other, they are also out of sync with the QB. Every QB has their way of pocket maneuvering in accordance to how the OL is blocking. With the new starters on the OL, they don't yet have an instinctual feel for how Burrow likes to move in the pocket. In addition, Joe is not yet accustomed to how the new OLmen are blocking their men. This is evident in how many times Burrow tries to escape the pocket only to run into a defender. Yesterday, was better as he was able to escape the pocket and pick up some positive yards.

Now, I'm no football guru, but it's my theory that Zac and Callahan are trying to "help" the OL by calling so many rushing plays on 1st and 2nd downs. If true, I think this is doing the opposite of helping. This is just making it take longer for the OL to get in sync with the QB. I don't know the specific stats, but it seems that our offense has played better in the 2nd half of both games and I think it's because we do more passing kinda forcing the OL and QB to get on the same page quicker.

Your thoughts (beyond the "Zac and/or Pollack sucks and/or needs fired")?

I agree with a lot of what you said here, but not so much on the play calling.  I believe they abandon the run too quickly when it is working.  

If you watch almost every other high-powered offense (Buffalo, KC, LA Chargers) they come out with short passes to get the chains moving with schemes that give the QB a wide open short pass that the receiver has an opportunity to turn in to decent yardage if there is a missed tackle.  Lots of "legal" pick plays, screens out of bunch formations, etc.  It is almost NEVER deep stuff down the field to start the game.  They chip away like this the first couple drives (often scoring because those scripted plays are so effective at moving the chains) and THEN take shots when the defense adjusts to take away the easy short completions.  

Is short, attack space...if they are all up on you (Chicago last year), then attack deep.  If they are all back in cover 2 or 3, then attack the short space.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: My Theory as to our Offensive Ineptitude - SHRacerX - 09-21-2022, 08:45 AM