Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paul Dehner Jr Athletic article on Burrow’s mastery of the back shoulder throw
For those stymied by the Athletic pay wall, I offer this Cliff's Notes version. If you're a young pup and don't understand the reference, Cliff's Notes is what got a lot of us older gentlemen through college.

The back shoulder throw is utilized against press man coverage. Receiver runs a go, QB and receiver read the defender. Receiver with a step, QB throws it deep. DB even, QB throws back shoulder. Executed correctly, it is undefendable. Do it enough, defense will just play zone.

The combination of strengths in Burrow's game -- mental, physical and emotional -- lend themselves to the success rate. Callahan stated that Joe is the best ever at the back shoulder throw.

Joe and Chase perfected it at LSU. Next to learn it was Tee. Now Joe throws it to everyone. He even throws it to RB's. When asked his favorite back shoulder throw, he named the first down completion to Irwin v. Tennessee.

The technique requires complete trust between QB and receiver. Hurst's reaction: "Holy shit, this guy trusts me. This is pretty cool."

According to Pitcher, when a receiver makes an incorrect read, this is what he gets from Joe: "OK, this is not quite what I expected from you, this is what I need from you."

It's no wonder that guys love playing with Burrow.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Paul Dehner Jr Athletic article on Burrow’s mastery of the back shoulder throw - Speedy Thomas - 12-15-2022, 02:44 PM