Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battle for Seeding or Rest Battered Starters?
The Bengals find themselves in an interesting position after Jacksonville's win last night.

Fighting for a playoff berth is no longer something they have to do with 3 games remaining. They also have several key players working through injuries to stay on the field on a week to week basis on both sides of the football.

The number 1 seed would obviously come with the advantage of 2 weeks rest for players in need, but that's far from a sure thing, and the Bengals aren't quite in control of that. Even if they win out, they need KC to take an upset loss to get to a first round bye.

What would you rather have? A team fighting for a bye that may not be likely or a team going into the postseason with most of it's key injured players coming off of 2 or 3 weeks rest?

My approach would be a mix of both. Win in New England. It's not a given, but it's a very winnable game. Put that in in your back pocket, rest some guys vs Buffalo, then beat an even more banged up Baltimore team to secure at least one home playoff tilt. Baltimore at home is a game they should be able to win without all hands on deck.

It's a tough pill to swallow given the playoff atmosphere that will be the Buffalo game, but I'm not sure what they gain going to a 2 seed from a 3. At the very least, I want to rest Hendrickson, Hilton, and either Tee or Tyler if they aren't feeling a lot better than they are now. It also would get backups a large volume of snaps against likely playoff opponents which wouldn't be entirely bad.

If KC drops a game, that changes the entire approach, but that's difficult to bank on. The Monday night game is a big one, but a win vs the Bills in the playoffs, which is something they are very likely to need, is bigger.

I'm pretty torn on all of this, but it's something to keep an eye on.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Battle for Seeding or Rest Battered Starters? - samhain - 12-23-2022, 03:14 PM