Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why are the Cincinnati Bengals Underestimated?
The Bengals are the defending AFC champions and AFCN divisional champions. They are a team that should be respected right?
As I go through social medial, videos, and talk shows, I noticed the Bengals are once again undervalued as super bowl contenders. As an example:

My Question is why?

When you go by the numbers, the Bengals as a team, do not lead in any category. They just plod along.
Offense:
Total Yards PG: 8th (KC 1st) (Bills 2nd)
Rushing attempts/yards, Bengals are near bottom
Offensive plays Bengals are about 17th, whereas eagles are 5th, meaning they run more plays which gives them better opportunity to score.

Defense
Sacks (Bengals are near bottom)
Turnover DIFF (Bengals 6th; Bills 15th; KC is 23rd)
TYPG allowed: Bengals 16th; Bills 6th, KC 11th
Points allowed Bengals 5th, Bills 2nd, KC 16th

Note that 49ers stats are 1st in just about every category on defense.

So statistically, the Bengals are well rounded but not eye popping.

With regard to the eye test, the Bengals do not usually dominate teams with exceptions of the Panthers. They almost lost to the Patriots and struggled against backup QB in Dallas and Ravens. They were blown out by a very bad team in the Browns on National broadcast.

Nonetheless, what the stats and the eye test do not capture is the fact that the Bengals have players who win plays at critical moments. Whether it be creating a fumble, INT, a sack at a critical moment in the game, stopping a score. The Bengals as a team have players that rise to the moment. They are opportunistic winners. It may look like the Bengals are lucky, but I think it speaks to the fortitude and character of the team. They may not flash, but they are a team to fear, especially in the playoffs because they are unflappable.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Why are the Cincinnati Bengals Underestimated? - psychdoctor - 01-18-2023, 07:55 PM