Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengal Coaching Staff Adjustments
(01-23-2023, 04:34 PM)Nepa Wrote: What you are saying is that it's an emotional boost to score at the end of the first half and beginning of the second half. Of course.

But what is not being counted is the emotional boost to score at the beginning of a game and putting a team in the hole. That momentum booster. And putting a damper on the opposing fans in their stadium right off the bat.

Or yourself being the team to score at the end of the first half.  Or stopping the team at the end of the first half. Or having a defense that makes adjustments and shuts down the other team at the start of the second half. Or flipping the field position on the first possession. One doesn't need only to get momentum by possessing the ball twice in a row. One can get it by the way they start the game, or by stopping the other team's plan to get the ball on two consecutive possessions, or by just shutting down the other team at the start of the second half.

I think the Bengals have been starting with the ball as a kind of "we're confident enough in our offense to take the ball first." A kind of "we're not scared by the bright lights or crowd." 

I don't know what the statistics are. But the Bengals are sending a message by taking the ball first that they are not going to follow the status quo and are a confident bunch. "Give us the damn ball" mentality. 

And now when there is a coin toss, the opposing team feels like the Bengals are getting their way no matter the outcome.

Just my thoughts. When you defer and hold a team in their first drive you seize the momentum. On the other hand if you are the offense and score your first drive and then hold the other team and then go score again the complexion of the game has dramatically changed. Really the decision should be based on your strength. If you really like your defense you should always defer. I don’t think there’s a fail safe strategy. If you like your defense in this matchup or offense make the decision based on the game and of course game conditions.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bengal Coaching Staff Adjustments - Soonerpeace - 01-23-2023, 04:45 PM