Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ben Baby's "Three things to watch for the Bengals this offseason"
Ben Baby's analysis regarding:

Burrow's contract
Salary cap decisions
Refreshing the roster

https://www.espn.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/34303/joe-burrows-extension-and-more-three-things-to-watch-for-this-bengals-offseason

Some excerpts:

“This team will never be the same again,” Reader said in the minutes after the 23-20 loss.

The 2022 version of the Bengals was one of the best in team history. It won 10 straight games, a franchise record, and matched the most victories by a Cincinnati squad in a single season (12). Throughout the year, the team’s bond and chemistry have been noted as one of the reasons for its success single season (12).

Once Cincinnati figures out how much to pay Burrow and, more importantly, how to structure that deal, the Bengals will get a better glimpse at what will be available for linebacker Logan Wilson and wide receiver Tee Higgins.

Cincinnati has pushed back at the concept of a championship window built around an elite quarterback on a rookie contract, which is a massive discount to a franchise. But the reality is that the financial flexibility the Bengals have enjoyed will disappear once Burrow’s new contract starts to take a significant chunk of the salary cap.

“We’ll see what they want to do with me, but I know I’m still entitled for a year,” Boyd said after the loss to Kansas City. “I’m not counting my chances of not being here out. You never know.”

Cincinnati’s draft strategy in 2022 was clear. With the selections of safety Dax Hill, cornerback Cam Taylor-Britt and defensive tackle Zach Carter in the first three rounds, respectively, the Bengals were slotting in younger, cheaper players to potentially become starters in future years.

ESPN’s latest mock draft has the Bengals trending toward the same approach in 2023. ESPN NFL draft analyst Matt Miller has Cincinnati selecting Notre Dame tight end Michael Mayer with the 28th overall pick.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Ben Baby's "Three things to watch for the Bengals this offseason" - Nepa - 02-10-2023, 01:29 PM