Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Nikki Haley announces her run for President
(03-20-2023, 04:21 PM)basballguy Wrote: If you really wanted to talk about states rights, border security, the economy, or small business protection, then you'd probably get something a bit more engaging from me than when you say "derp, they are focused on trans bathrooms and not real issues".  

I agree that "states rights, border security... etc." are real issues.  And I'd be happy to talk about them if they were really at the center of the GOP presidential campaign as policy issues.  But here I think you are shooting the messenger . . . . 

(03-20-2023, 04:21 PM)basballguy Wrote: How about you tell me who made trans bathrooms the center of their campaign?  Sure it's a talking point (a very minor one), but who's out there campaigning around trans bathrooms?  Especially for the presidency?  

Numerous GOP have done that, at all levels. That's why there is now a wave of legislation banning health care for transgenders. E.g. DeSantis--Trump's only real competition at the moment--did so in Florida last year via an appointed medical board, rather than going through the legislature. https://www.axios.com/2023/03/18/gender-affirming-health-care-bans-transgender-lgbt.
This reminds me of the surge of anti-Sharia legislation from 10 years ago, or the more recent banning of CRT in schools that don't have it.

There could be a GOP candidate out there who has not made "wokeness" a primary issue; but at present the front runners and those appealing to the MAGA base have these priorities in both their interviews and speeches, and where in power, with their legislative priorities as well.  Trump takes it all to an even darker stage by campaigning on REVENGE, not "states rights" or "the economy." 

And what is the GOP House doing with its new committee power, investigating small business protection--or protecting Trump? 

It may be that for you the culture war issues are minor points, but they are not for your party, when its leaders place them front and center with both talk and action (e.g., legislation, committee formation).  And when voters prefer overwhelmingly to elect a twice-impeached ex-pres who attempted a coup.

I can't talk border security when democracy is at stake.

(03-20-2023, 04:21 PM)basballguy Wrote: I do think you are an informed and intelligent person so I'm not trying to personally attack you.  I just do not feel you actually care enough to discuss what the real issues are for someone like me and would just rather throw pot shots* all day long.

None of the issues you rightly think important can be effectively addressed so long as manufactured culture war issues get the votes, and so long as, when GOP candidates do address them, it is just to claim Biden is doing it all wrong. 

And this is ultimately the fault of GOP voters, who take that bait rather than demanding their candidates address the "real" issues and uphold the rule of law.

So we probably don't disagree on where the terrain of productive political discussion SHOULD be in a healthy democracy, 
but neither of us controls that terrain. 

Hence the difference in our priorities. If the house is burning down, I want to address the fire, not debate which furnishings need replacing.

*As far as "pot shots" go--have you noticed how often people complain about the length of my posts? I have in many places taken the trouble to introduce actual ongoing polysci and communications research into my posts to provide the history and analytical depth one can't get from typical news sources. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Nikki Haley announces her run for President - Dill - 03-22-2023, 05:50 PM