Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Change Up in Philosophy Mock
First, let me say, I don't think this will happen but wanted to test out some theory.

Second, for FA. This assumes we can bring back the following on reasonable/cheap contracts:

Eli Apple - to protect from rushing Chido back before he's ready and depth.
Von Bell - I don't think we can lose both backfielders in one year and feel comfortable.
Flowers - for depth and TE guarding
Perine - For brusing and scheme fit.

Cuts:
LC - he wasn't great before injury and he will likely be hampered even more after an ACL so late in the year. I don't see him ready to start the season.
Mixon - legal issues aside, you can't pay a RB 12M and expect to win a SB.

Outside FA:
Jawaan Taylor RT Jac

Big young RT with still room to grow. Some people won't like this for his cost and I feel like its one worth betting on. His PFF grade is similar to Collins but his youth allows it the opportunity to improve. Having a starter in place opens the draft in case all the teams in front of us take OT and we are stuck with HA as starting RT again.

I don't know enough about the other FA options at this time so he's the only one I'm looking at.

Now to the draft. Remember this is experimental and requires an open mind. This draft was obtained via NFL Mock Draft Database:

Rd 1. Luke Musgrave TE Oregon St.

Yes, for anyone who has followed me on the other threads about TEs in one (Mayer), knows I dispise the idea of TE in 1. This draft was crafted in the belief that Boyd doesn't get another contract and we need to replace slot production. If Musgrave hits the athletic numbers projected, im using him as a big bodied slot that can block on the perimeter.

Rd 2. Mazi Smith NT Michigan

First off, didn't expect Mazi to be here. Second, the plan was to go Jack Campbell to replace Pratt. Third, Mazi's talents were too good to pass up. As much as we don't want to think about it, DJs contract is one that either needs replaced or lowered in the near future. This offers protection if neither of those things happens.

Rd 3. Jack Campbell LB Iowa

As mentioned above, was fully prepared to take Jack at 2, he fell to 3. Would love to add his tenacity to our attacking D. Rotate with ADG to replace Pratt until Campbell ready to take over.

Rd 4. Tyjae Spears RB Tulane

Speedy back. Everyone's darling after the Senior Bowl. Run and catches well. Has room to grow as a personal protector. Like would have went with Roschon Robinson if Spears wasn't here.

Rd 5. Payne Durham TE Purdue

"Another TE?" you say? Yes. As mentioned above, Musgrave is like a slot in a TEs body for these purposes, Durham is my traditional TE in this scenario. This could end up being a Hurst/Andrews scenario but in reverse (which is what you want with the 1st rounder being the superstar). Production isn't terribly different than Mayers, which for a 5th is amazing value. Good blocker, soft hands, great catch radius. Only negative is he may be athletically limited.

Rd. 6 Jakorian Bennett CB Maryland

H/W/S specimen that could give you some quality snaps as a back up. Could develop into starter.

Rd. 7 Warren McClendon RT Georgia

Developmental RT with some size and strength.

Let me know what you think. I'm prepared to defend all picks 1-6 (7th was a filler spot for me).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Change Up in Philosophy Mock - WVUHomer - 02-15-2023, 08:37 AM
RE: Change Up in Philosophy Mock - OSUfan - 02-17-2023, 05:59 PM
RE: Change Up in Philosophy Mock - OSUfan - 02-18-2023, 10:36 AM
RE: Change Up in Philosophy Mock - OSUfan - 02-18-2023, 12:22 PM