Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Volson to RT? Hear me out...
I am sure people's first reaction to any mention of Volson being moved from his LG position is bound to bring some venom. Hear me out:

Volson has exceptional length. He played RT more than any other position at NDSU. He showed how quickly he could adapt to playing LG and had a really good rookie season. He has probably added 10 pounds or so since joining the Bengals, putting him at 6'7" and 325 lbs. He has nearly 34" arms as well and huge 10.5" mitts.

So, now you are asking...."Who is going to be the LG?". Well, here are a couple guys that project to be available early in the 2nd round that look like really good prospects:

Rank
Steve Avila
Steve Avila
TCU · IOL · Senior (RS)
Avila is a physically imposing guard prospect with quick feet and power. In pass protection, he is quick out of his stance, chops his feet and delivers a strong two-hand punch. He anchors easily and looks for work when he's uncovered. He is very aware and has a nasty streak. In the run game, he runs his feet on contact and drives opponents off the line of scrimmage. He does a good job staying attached to blocks. If he loses his hand placement, he is quick to replace and recover. He is sudden as a puller and can unload when he stays on a single track. He has some issues when he has to adjust and redirect his feet in space. Overall, I love the size and temperament Avila possesses. He's going to be a solid starting guard right away at the next level.

Rank
O'Cyrus Torrence
O'Cyrus Torrence
Florida · IOL · Senior
Torrence is a massive offensive guard with ideal instincts and play strength. In pass protection, he can bend his knees and play with balance. He has an immediate anchor and provides plenty of space for his QB to climb up into the pocket. He has strong hands to latch and control. He is very aware versus twists and stunts. In the run game, he can create movement with defenders over his nose and has surprising quickness to reach and cut off foes. He is quick to the second level, but he struggles to redirect and adjust in space. That should improve if he can drop 10-to-15 pounds. Teams that want to run downhill and create a firm interior in the pass game will really appreciate Torrence.[i][i][/i][/i]

This could allow the Bengals to acquire some extra draft capital by trading out of the first round and choose one of these guys in the 2nd round.

I am just spit balling, but I really like the idea of giving him a shot at RT, his natural position. Thoughts?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Volson to RT? Hear me out... - SHRacerX - 02-18-2023, 10:52 AM
RE: Volson to RT? Hear me out... - Synric - 02-18-2023, 11:08 AM
RE: Volson to RT? Hear me out... - Synric - 02-21-2023, 12:55 PM
RE: Volson to RT? Hear me out... - bk42 - 02-18-2023, 12:18 PM
RE: Volson to RT? Hear me out... - bfine32 - 02-18-2023, 02:59 PM
RE: Volson to RT? Hear me out... - OSUfan - 02-26-2023, 01:03 PM
RE: Volson to RT? Hear me out... - OSUfan - 02-26-2023, 01:20 PM
RE: Volson to RT? Hear me out... - OSUfan - 02-24-2023, 05:58 PM
RE: Volson to RT? Hear me out... - OSUfan - 02-24-2023, 08:51 PM