Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Donavan Smith At Left Tackle?
StripeHype and Fansided list the Bengals as a potential trade partner for Smith and a few other sites list him as a possible landing spot when he's (inevitably) released by the Bucs.

He had an off-year last season after his injury, which hopefully keeps his demand down and allows us to sign him at a reasonable rate:

Quote:Before we dive in too much, I'll say this -- Smith was not very good in 2022. That right there will make Bengals fans wary of this potential trade. Smith particularly struggled as a run-blocker, notching a 41.5 PFF grade there. He did manage a 70.0 pass-blocking grade, however.
If Cincinnati decided to pull the trigger and make a deal with the Buccaneers for Smith's services, they'd be banking on him returning to his 2021 form. That year saw Smith put up impressive numbers across the board (83.3 overall, 84.7 pass-blocking, 70.0 run-blocking) but he did struggle in the playoffs that season.

According to Kristopher Knox of Bleacher Report, it could take a third-round pick to land Smith. I don't think the Bengals should bite at that deal but a fourth or fifth-round selection is worth the risk. Smith is turning 30 in June so he wouldn't be the long-term answer so trading any Day 1 or Day 2 picks would not be a wise move.

Smith is also expensive so it could make sense for the Bengals to wait and see if the Bucs can even find a trade partner. If not, the Buccaneers might release him and Cincinnati could then sign him on their own terms and not have to pay him what he's due on his contract.

Also, we obviously want someone that can run block, but pass blocking is MUCH more important, so his low run blocking grade doesn't concern me as much.

Bringing in him (assuming he can play at his 2021 form) would be very smart because it would bring in a proven vet and open up options for us, even if we do go with a tackle early because it wouldn't hurt to have depth.

I don't think he'll command too much money coming off the injury and hopefully he's excited enough at what we're building here to sign with us!
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Donavan Smith At Left Tackle? - BFritz21 - 03-02-2023, 04:28 PM
RE: Donavan Smith At Left Tackle? - Housh - 03-03-2023, 08:41 PM
RE: Donavan Smith At Left Tackle? - Housh - 03-03-2023, 11:00 PM
RE: Donavan Smith At Left Tackle? - Nepa - 03-07-2023, 04:51 PM