Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The death of P&R and what it says about where we are.
(03-06-2023, 08:34 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I don't particularly disagree with you, other than he wouldn't find a way to lock things down for good. Our system has a lot of flaws, but it's pretty great at ensuring power transfer. I would consider holding my nose and voting for Biden if he were about 6 years younger. I already don't like voting for people I don't like, but I honestly don't love Biden's odds of making it through term 2 alive (86 isn't a great bet). If he dies Kamala Harris takes over the remainder of the term and also gets incumbent status for 2028. 

So I will probably just "throw away" my vote on 3rd party again, assuming we haven't been mutually reduced to radioactive ashes with Russia before this election ever comes about, rendering all this talk pointless. Ninja

I'd eagerly vote for Biden if he said "I'm probably going to die so I'm going to make Josh Shapiro or Mark Kelly my VP!"

With that being said, I'm pretty sure Trump wouldn't turn the country into a semi-dictatorship/royal family thing but the fact that he pulled that whole 1/6 thing and we are possibly going to reelect him makes me think enough people may want that for it to happen.  If Trump wins in 2024 we'd be looking at a period of 12+ years where a major political figure in a major political party has made the illegitimacy of our democracy a key point of his campaign and presidency.  

If this country will make a politician who says our democracy is a rigged farce the face of the GOP and the builder of the new GOP and elect him twice...well, it's safe to say enough people are at least ok with resistance to transfers of power that we could be amenable to exploring the idea since it clearly isn't a deal-breaker.

Of course, then there is the possibility that this stuff fizzles out without Trump, too.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The death of P&R and what it says about where we are. - Nately120 - 03-06-2023, 09:38 PM